Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm a first time REW user (would that make me a REWbie?) and plan on leveraging the data as best I can to optimize my HTS and room environment. I haven't taken any measurements yet, but have the setup working to start tomorrow (as long as environmental background conditions allow, there's construction in the neighborhood that may prevent me from getting too far...).

I wanted to check some of my assumptions about how I can use REW with my setup.
My plan is to use REW for the following (in order somewhat):
1) Identify room modes that are not optimal and start with fine tuning the speaker placement for my 5.1 setup. 2) Identify if I can take care of some now, or plan projects to do things like build bass traps
3) Try to optimize EQ settings on my SC07.

My main question pertains to the last item, it looks like REW has the ability to provide an optimized EQ response, but my SC07 doesn't look to use a loadable file, it looks like the parameters I can modify are +/-dB values for different frequencies and the speaker timing (or speaker distance to the main listening point). Would I be able to get this level of information out of REW or is that function specific to other EQ's and I'd basically be doing a trial and error approach?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts
...but my SC07 doesn't look to use a loadable file, it looks like the parameters I can modify are +/-dB values for different frequencies and the speaker timing (or speaker distance to the main listening point). Would I be able to get this level of information out of REW...
EQ filter parameters, but not timing.

...or is that function specific to other EQ's and I'd basically be doing a trial and error approach?
It’ll be trial and error. Presumably the Pioneer has fixed frequency settings. You could use REW’s generic EQ setting, enter the frequencies your receiver allows, and then virtually EQ the graph to see what changes you could get from the EQ. However, it might be best just to let the auto EQ function do its thing.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’ll be trial and error. Presumably the Pioneer has fixed frequency settings. You could use REW’s generic EQ setting, enter the frequencies your receiver allows, and then virtually EQ the graph to see what changes you could get from the EQ. However, it might be best just to let the auto EQ function do its thing.
Thanks Wayne. I didn't realize I could set the frequencies that my EQ uses via REW, I'll look into that more.

So you'd recommend letting the auto EQ function on the SC07 run after I place the speakers and deal with some of the room acoustics?

But I should take baseline measurements without EQ On to start.

I'm really hoping I can make some good measurements tomorrow, this ought to be a fun learning experience. I'll post results soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts
Yeah - typically the auto feature performs EQ that you wouldn’t be able to do manually. Take a baseline reading to see what kind of improvement the auto EQ gets.

Don’t know about your specific receiver, but some do have pretty flexible EQ sections or let you fine-tune the auto EQ. If so you might want to use REW to help manually EQ.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.