Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting together a separate low/mid-priced HT set-up so I’ll be switching out some of the gear in my current main HT system and buying some new replacement stuff. I plan to pull the 7.2 channel NAD AVR and Oppo BDP 93 out of my primary system and have a new Marantz 8801 processor and Oppo BDP 103 coming in a day or two to replace them.

Not quite ready to re-do my outboard amp situation yet so I plan to use what I have lying around to drive my primary 7.2 set up since I’m going from a receiver (even though I only use one channel to drive the center currently) to a processor. I currently have 4 amps—a 2-channel Parasound Halo A21 and 3 NAD C270 2-channel amps.

So, my main HT system will go something like this I guess:
Parasound A21 – ML ESLs mains
C270 #1 – ML C2 Center
C270 #2 – ML LX16 Rears
C270 #3 – Polk surrounds
Dual PSA V1500’s

(The Parasound P5 2.1 channel preamp and NAD CD tie into the A21, ESLs and PSAs for separate 2 channel duty thanks to the HT bypass feature so I’m ignoring this stuff)

So, other than for simplicity sake and convenience (i.e. the 8801 only has TWO 12v trigger outs and I’m talking 4 amps) and a couple less cables, are there any other downsides to this configuration?

The second system I’m building up is a modest 5.1 and will have the NAD AVR, Oppo BDP93, Chane A5rx-c mains, Chane A2rx-c center and ML LX16 rears. No outboard amplification at this time and the sub is TBD. I think it’ll sound pretty good for HT without a ton of money invested. From a double duty standpoint, not sure I’d get the benefit of 96/24 rez music if I added a DAC for 2-channel listening but maybe I shouldn’t be underestimating it. Any thoughts here?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
From a double duty standpoint, not sure I’d get the benefit of 96/24 rez music if I added a DAC for 2-channel listening but maybe I shouldn’t be underestimating it. Any thoughts here?
Hi 480dad. Will the 2nd system go into your bedroom? For double duty, the benefits of hi-res over redbook CD would be slim unless you set up a good LP to go with it, right? I guess I'm not clear where the 2nd system goes and what it's primary use will be.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Putting together a separate low/mid-priced HT set-up so I’ll be switching out some of the gear in my current main HT system and buying some new replacement stuff. I plan to pull the 7.2 channel NAD AVR and Oppo BDP 93 out of my primary system and have a new Marantz 8801 processor and Oppo BDP 103 coming in a day or two to replace them.
So, my main HT system will go something like this I guess:
Parasound A21 – ML ESLs mains
C270 #1 – ML C2 Center
C270 #2 – ML LX16 Rears
C270 #3 – Polk surrounds
Dual PSA V1500’s
Sweet! Did you get the Marantz or Oppo yet?
I expect pictures when you do! :foottap:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi 480dad. Will the 2nd system go into your bedroom? For double duty, the benefits of hi-res over redbook CD would be slim unless you set up a good LP to go with it, right? I guess I'm not clear where the 2nd system goes and what it's primary use will be.
We just bought a vacation home so it'll go in a rec room that's going to be terrible to work with. 23x17x10 for almost 4,0000 cubes and Floors are tiled and walls are wide plank wood. So, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get great 2-channel sound out of it without spending a lot which I don't want to do right now. With my current system, I definitely hear the difference between 96/24 and cd. But there's a 5-fold difference in gear investment. Guess what I'm asking is will I be able to hear the difference from the Chanes? I know this system will give me pretty decent HT once I add a sub.

Sweet! Did you get the Marantz or Oppo yet?
I expect pictures when you do! :foottap:
Best I can do...just got em, opened boxes, then out the door to the lake. Off Monday so I'll make the big switch then.

Room Property Tile Floor Furniture

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw, just a quick word on the Martin Logan LX16 bookshelves. I know MSRP means little but these speakers originally listed for $399 each. They are now discontinued, replaced by the LX15's which has a different cabinet, barely. There seem to be several authorized Martin Logan dealers selling them for $239 each...I bought two for my 7.2 rears about 6 months ago. Love them. Great punch. Dynamic highs.

Now, to make a good deal even better...HIFI Heaven has a special running where if you buy 5, you get the 5th free. So, 4 @ 239=956. A year ago, that'd be [email protected]=1995. These are great sounding Martin Logan ribbon tweeter speakers with 5 year warranty. Awesome surrounds imo and could be a very nice 5 channel HT for a small space.

Just thought I'd share my opinion for what it's worth.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the tip ...!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts