Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My setup is RCA from AVR to my subwoofer amp. The crossover on my AVR has been my EQ along with the volume of the amp.

I would like to get a little more control. What is a cheaper EQ that can work with this setup? I only have RCA outputs (unbalanced) on the AVR but the amp has balanced inputs and unbalaced. So if the EQ does not have unbalanced it would need a converter or at least a good sounding signal boost to make the levels match. Beyond that I just need a simple subwoofer EQ with adjustments from say 10-20 Hz to 80-90 Hz.

Also my amp cannot be controlled by my remote so what is the best solution to turning it on and off automatically (it does not have a 12V turnon input either) Are those surge protectors that turn everything on and off pretty good?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Anything with decent quality would run you about $100 Have you not given any thought to upgrading your receiver to something newer even if its used as anything that is less than 5 years old will have decent bass management built in. For well under $300 you can get something much better Something with Auddesey

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For well under $300 you can get something much better Something with Auddesey
I have a Pioneer VSX 918V and it has Auto MCACC if that is what you mean by Auddesey. I don't know what in my post made you think I need a better AVR though?:huh:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I have a Pioneer VSX 918V and it has Auto MCACC if that is what you mean by Auddesey. I don't know what in my post made you think I need a better AVR though?:huh:
Sorry, I guess I should have asked:hide: you could get a Behringer Feedback Destroyer as it has some great bass management but its probably a bit more than you want to spend.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does MCACC not eq the sub?

Kal
yeah it gives EQ values to the sub but for movies I prefer more emphasis on the low end and for music I like the 50-70Hz range to be in full force for the kick drum's higher tones.

If the Behringer Feedback Destroyer is this one for 100 bucks

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDSP1124P

then that is within budget but I saw it only has balanced inputs and outputs and I am not sure if it has enough juice to raise the gain from my AVR's unbalanced outputs.

My amp is the A500 which is more than enough juice for me.

Also with another device I really need a remote turn on solution for both the amp and the EQ.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
yeah it gives EQ values to the sub but for movies I prefer more emphasis on the low end and for music I like the 50-70Hz range to be in full force for the kick drum's higher tones.
I am completely unfamiliar with MCACC but I know that I can add a tone control setting to Audyssey or replace Audyssey with a manual EQ on my Integra. Perhaps those are options on your Pioneer.

Kal

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone have any ideas on an EQ that can deal with the unbalanced to balanced issue?

thanks

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
My setup is RCA from AVR to my subwoofer amp. The crossover on my AVR has been my EQ along with the volume of the amp.

I would like to get a little more control. What is a cheaper EQ that can work with this setup? I only have RCA outputs (unbalanced) on the AVR but the amp has balanced inputs and unbalaced. So if the EQ does not have unbalanced it would need a converter or at least a good sounding signal boost to make the levels match. Beyond that I just need a simple subwoofer EQ with adjustments from say 10-20 Hz to 80-90 Hz.

Also my amp cannot be controlled by my remote so what is the best solution to turning it on and off automatically (it does not have a 12V turnon input either) Are those surge protectors that turn everything on and off pretty good?

Thanks!
This is what I was looking for: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_123&products_id=657

Kal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts