Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put together a decent 7.1 HT system for about $500~$600 (not including the speakers) without using a receiver?

After my awful experience with my $600 Yamaha HT receiver (which is now a paperweight because of a DSP chip failure that's too expensive to replace), I'm considering other options than simply buying another one and subjecting myself to the one-component-failure=expensive paperweight cycle again.

The source in question is going to be entirely streaming (Netflx, Deezer), for which I already have a mini PC that's used for that job. So the task here is to provide 7.1 channel decoding (really 6.1 because I don't use the center channel) and amplification for six of those channels, as well as basic filtering and digital delay. As the living room is small, I don't need a lot of amplification power. I'm not really interested in any of the fancy decoding that receivers these days have to offer - basic DD 7.1 surround sound decoding is just fine for me and the family, and the less buttons that they have access to pushing, the better..

I'm considering this:
1. A 7.1 USB-connected sound card for the PC (~$35)
2. A solution for the 6 channels of amplification (110/220V capable would be a definite plus)

What do you think? Will this work?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love mine!

20200814_041524.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is it possible to put together a decent 7.1 HT system for about $500~$600 (not including the speakers) without using a receiver?

After my awful experience with my $600 Yamaha HT receiver (which is now a paperweight because of a DSP chip failure that's too expensive to replace), I'm considering other options than simply buying another one and subjecting myself to the one-component-failure=expensive paperweight cycle again.

The source in question is going to be entirely streaming (Netflx, Deezer), for which I already have a mini PC that's used for that job. So the task here is to provide 7.1 channel decoding (really 6.1 because I don't use the center channel) and amplification for six of those channels, as well as basic filtering and digital delay. As the living room is small, I don't need a lot of amplification power. I'm not really interested in any of the fancy decoding that receivers these days have to offer - basic DD 7.1 surround sound decoding is just fine for me and the family, and the less buttons that they have access to pushing, the better..

I'm considering this:
1. A 7.1 USB-connected sound card for the PC (~$35)
2. A solution for the 6 channels of amplification (110/220V capable would be a definite plus)

What do you think? Will this work?

Here is a really good 6-ch amplification solution:
"Topping PA3 Desktop Amplifier 80WPC" - $105/ea

Total of $315 for all 6 channels

Here is the link:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Brian, nice to see you outside of diyaudio.com! Friday, I downloaded your SS Fold spreadsheet. Of course, I couldn't get it to work right. I guess that's why I prefer MTH folds for simplicity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts