Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a bit confused when it comes to the "check level" part. The guide says
The input level should be around -18dB FS when the cal signal is playing, if it is lower or higher adjust the Input Volume either using the REW control (if enabled) or your soundcard's mixer or OS audio level controls. The target range is -24dB to -12dB FS. Levels higher than -12dB may result in input clipping during measurement, levels lower than -24dB give noisier results.
Can someone explain what I should change and look at to get the -18db ?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all ... Welcome :wave:

Im a bit confused when it comes to the "check level" part. The guide says

Let's see if I remember ... is been a long time since I used REW :bigsmile:

I'm sure you already calibrated the sound card, saved the file and loaded the SPL cal file too ...

Whne you're ready to measure the frequency response you need to set the target (adjust the master volume to get a reading of 75db on the SPL; after that you're ready to take measurements ... if for any reason you get the "clipping", just lower the master volume and test again :yes:

That's what I can recall doing when I used REW ... hopefully Brucek or Sonnie will clarify this for you :bigsmile:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Deep9. You look to be one step ahead of me. I did the soundcard cal yesterday and will continue sometime in the next couple of days.

I too find some of the stuff a little confusing first time round. I'll be tagging along here to make sure I do things right.

Good luck.

Fred

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Yes, you have the "Right" channel selected to loopback, yet you are getting your signal on the "Left" channel in the VU meters.

Check your line-in and line-out splitters to ensure the loopback is on the "Right" channel.

brucek

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Once you get the loopback issue fixed, you may have some trial and error to get both dialed in. I usually play around with mixer lever, amp level, and preamp out level. The loopback level is determined by the mixer out, but the speaker level goes through the preamp and amplifier gains. If you have a receiver, that's usually just the volume knob, but on separates, you can sometimes adjust both. Obviously you don't want one so high it adds distortion, but you want everything to be close.

It sounds complicated, but once you do it once, you'll get a feel for it.

But yeah, definitely check out that loopback first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts