Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked up a box for my subwoofer. I don't need it to go to 20Hz I just want it to sound good and if it falls off the map on lower registers thats fine just so long as it sounds good above that and not boomy or bad.

Here is what I came up with. Will it need an EQ, or do you think it will do OK?

I had this driver laying around so I am trying to use it save money instead of buying a cheap Infinity or JBL powered subwoofer. Do you guys think this one would sound better?

I tried to model the enclosure the manufact. suggested but I needed an extra cubic foot and 4inch longer ports to do it.

This is what they said they got out of a 4.5ft^3 box.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK thanks. I don't have a link to the sub but I do have the T/S parameters.

This sub is not ideal but I am basically hoping it is better than a store bought powered subwoofer, since it has sat unused in its original box for 6-7 years.

Frequency Response (Hz) 25-500
Sensitivity (2.83v/1m) 96 dB
Impedance (nominal Z, ohms) 2/8
Rated Program Power, Watts 800
Fs (Hz) 26.2
Qts .371
Qms 7.43
Qes .390
Efficiency Bandwidth Product (Fs/Qes) 67.1
Vas (ft3) 6.36
Vas (liters) 180
Vas (m3) .180
Cms (um/N) 160
DCR (ohms) 2.24
Levc (mH) @ 1 KHz 2.475
BL (Tesla m) 14.75
Sd (in2) 131.0
Sd (m2) .089
Sd (cm2) 890
X max; one way (linear mm) 9.5
X max; one way (peak mm) 27
Vd (linear cm3) 847
Vd (peak cm3) 2403
Vd (linear m3) 0.000847
Vd (peak m3) 0.002403
Mms (grams) 230
Magnet Assembly (oz) 358
Magnet Weight (oz) 118
Vf (volume of frame, in3) 385

I don't need much volume, just looking to supplement my Infinity Beta 20 (6.5" drivers) surround speakers.

If that model is correct is it quite likely I would need an EQ in a 15x12x8 room? I would probably run it off of an EP2500 since they are so cheap. (i know this amp can fry the sub quite easily)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this for home theater and is the sub dual 4 ohm coils?
Sub is originally for car audio but this application will be home theater and audio. I plan to run it with a EP2500 4 ohm "stereo".

Like I said basically this is a free driver since I bought it so many years ago. If it can be made to sound better than a store bought subwoofer I really want to try.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The Soundstream SPL170 parameters are already entered in to the WinISD driver database and they match the specs you posted. I modeled it in 6 cu.ft. tuned to 21 hz. With room gain you should get over 110 db at 20 hz, nothing to complain about. It will handle 400 watts in this application as long as a subsonic filter is applied at 20 hz. Maximum excursion is 13mm at 14 hz which won't be a problem since the mechanical limits of this sub is 27 mm. Two 4 inch flared ports 22.5 inches long will keep the port airspeed down to 19 m/s.

soundstream.JPG

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS!

I knew this driver had potential. I will take your suggestion on tuning. Compared to the specs on the subwoofers I was going to buy, your estimate of 110dB sounds scary!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I went with 6.5 ft^3 after some changes in where I was going to put the box. Before I put anymore work in it I wanted to see how it sounds so I hooked it up. Way overkill for me needs but thats what the volume knob is for.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I watched Men in Black last night and it was awesome. Plan on checking out Blackhawk Down tonight.

For finishing I have not decided. The box is sanded and ready for paint but I am thinking I will use actual wood flooring or even a vinyl laminate that looks like wood.

any suggestions?

I plan on laying it on its side when i get it done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts