Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
My better half and I have been having some 'lively' discussions lately on our living room setup. (see sig & imagine no screen there for general non-movie setup everyday living).

Currently we're running a SVS PB-2000 which is a fantastic sub. Love it! Only thing is, it is a monster! Therefore, the inevitable discussions. Too many big black boxes! Especially the sub.

However there is an upside to this story. It may allow me to build some custom bassy bass makers... Which is also fun for me. :D

So my challenge is, I'm looking for ideas on driver and box suggestions for a budget conscious chest-kicking home theater dual-sub system. (Which also aestheically balances the room... :sarcastic: My initial thoughts are:

1. Small sealed boxes for space considerations. I know you can't argue with physics, so I don't expect these to be flat to 10Hz or anything. But I would like to be able to plumb the depths of 20-25Hz to make sure movies still sound the goods. A ported box will just need to be too big I think.

2. 15" drivers at around 500W each. Hopefully two 15's in sealed boxes will be able to provide enough punch to make up for the small boxes.

3. Plate amps in the back of each. May consider a separate stereo power amp to run them in order to further reduce the size of the sub boxes.

Thanks guys. Your input here would be much appreciated. :T

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Before asking a whole bunch of questions I would suggest using a pro audio power amp. Also port the 15's to about 20hz or so and that should be a good start. Trying to keep things on the cheap is hard. But it depends on your room. If wanting sealed you will generally have to have two drivers for the equivalent ported. UNLESS your after single digits. Then the only way to do that is to have LOTS of sealed cabinets.

What are your restricted to size wise? And how much do you want to spend?

Dayton Ultimax are a good buy and there are a handful of others also.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Before asking a whole bunch of questions I would suggest using a pro audio power amp. Also port the 15's to about 20hz or so and that should be a good start. Trying to keep things on the cheap is hard. But it depends on your room. If wanting sealed you will generally have to have two drivers for the equivalent ported. UNLESS your after single digits. Then the only way to do that is to have LOTS of sealed cabinets.

What are your restricted to size wise? And how much do you want to spend?

Dayton Ultimax are a good buy and there are a handful of others also.
Yes I weighed that up when I decided to go with the ported SVS as opposed to sealed. My only issue with ported is that I am limited with size. I always thought that generally a sealed box will be smaller. I would love to go ported, but with size being my limiting factor, I'm not sure I can go ported without going too big.

I'd like to get the boxes under 100L (3.5ft3) if I can. My ideal size would be max about 20" in any dimension, (could be a bit longer lengthwise), but I know that may not happen.

I'd like to stay under 1k if I can.

The Ultimax is on sale at a store here in Australia. Man you US guys get stuff cheap. It's on sale here and it's still $300! :eek:

Possible purchases:
Ultimax x2: http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/dayton-um15-22-15-ultimax-sub/
Phonic Power Amp: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370677263432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Most of the time going with a sealed enclosure will be smaller than the same driver in a ported cabinet. I cant think of a cheaper 15 off the top of my head available in Australia. I have a few of the Alpine Type S which cost about 250 if you ask for that price. They like small enclosures also.

I wish they still had the 18 "IXl here. Those were 300 each.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts