Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While sitting and thinking, mostly sitting, I reflected back on the years that I have been involved in home theater and multichannel receivers. What has happened , to me, is that I started out with Pioneer, mixed in a couple of Sony here and there, and gravitated to Onkyo. My last five or six A/V receivers have been Onkyo. Admittedly my purchases have all been mid price ($800- $1200 ) but I ponder, has Onkyo carved out a niche for itself in mid price home theater receivers or am I limiting my frame of reference because that brand is what readers on several forums, including this one, which I read faithfully, subscribe to. I really like Onkyo for home theater but have selected other brands for stereo listening.

Just food for thought, and probably a guy with too much time on his hands.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
While sitting and thinking, mostly sitting, I reflected back on the years that I have been involved in home theater and multichannel receivers. What has happened , to me, is that I started out with Pioneer, mixed in a couple of Sony here and there, and gravitated to Onkyo. My last five or six A/V receivers have been Onkyo. Admittedly my purchases have all been mid price ($800- $1200 ) but I ponder, has Onkyo carved out a niche for itself in mid price home theater receivers or am I limiting my frame of reference because that brand is what readers on several forums, including this one, which I read faithfully, subscribe to. I really like Onkyo for home theater but have selected other brands for stereo listening.

Just food for thought, and probably a guy with too much time on his hands.
Hello,
It never hurts to ponder the yonder.... Onkyo really was somewhat languishing until the x05 Series around 5 years ago. They were ahead in regards to HDMI 1.3 by several Months to around a Year compared to other Brands. It also offered a true classic in the TX-SR805.

Never before or since has there been a THX Ultra2 AVR with an MSRP of just over $1000. Moreover, its Bench Test was the stuff of legends coming close to 300 Watts when tested into 4 Ohms. In addition, it offered Audyssey MultEQ XT in addition to a fantastic Amplifier Stage. The only real weak links that could be said was the Faroudja Video Processor was somewhat lacking and it does run hot. The heat issue was exacerbated when the AVR was placed in a Cabinet or if a Component is stacked on top of it.

I too have been using Onkyo's for the past 5 years or so. I only kept the 805 for about 3 Months before selling it to a close friend who lives a mile away to fund purchasing a TX-SR875 as I really wanted since.
Thereafter, it has been a TX-NR3007 and now a 3008. So while I have spent just a smidge more, I am right there with you. I do need to point out that I have never hooked up a Speaker to any of my Onkyo AVR's. It has been Outboard Amplification the entire time for me.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I agree, Onkyo has been on a roll and does not seem to be letting up. Their receivers have continuously been bench tested to do very very well compared to many of the competition.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
As a Marantz fanboy, you'd think I'd be biased the other way, but Onkyo has continued to impress me.

I just got a followup call to an install I did a few years back (guy wants to upgrade to Bluray). He got a mid-to-high Onkyo receiver (don't remember the model number) and it is still going strong. He's driving a pretty big room with some moderately efficient AV123 speakers and it doesn't break a sweat. In fact the only problem he has had with it was one time he accidentally put it in midnight mode and wondered where the bass went :) That was a quick fix.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My approximately 12 YO Onkyo AVR started having problems late last year. I compared the new Onkyo's to what the competition had available at equivalent prices, read lots of reviews and decided that the Onkyo TX-NR709 was what I needed. I ordered one and have been very happy with it's features and performance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I own four and after a recent reshuffle I have an 809 running as a pre/pro feeding two Emotiva XPA amps in my family room, a 707 in my home-office driving EMP E41 bookshelves, and a 906 driving Sierra-1s in my bedroom. I haven't figured out where the 606 is going but it's still running strong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts