Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I like your idea but I would not use MDF. I would implement a sort of truss out of 2x4's. MDF is wimpy stuff.
Agreed. I'd mimic the original plan as pictured but with a series of triangle braces made of 2x4's. You could clap plywood or OSB to each side of the braces to give them extra strength and stability once you have the 2x4's in place and secured to each other, the baffle, and the concrete.

·
Registered
125 Posts
At $26,000 installed, they are a little outside my budget at the moment. Have to wait until payday. ;)

Flat response to < 1Hz would be fun with all the new sub-bass coming out in movies these days, but would still need the IB to handle 20-80Hz. At 5Hz and less, this thing moves doors back and forth 1" while playing - it would be a new level of vibration for a house to deal with.

This is the only upgrade I could think up beside adding more drivers to the IB. Gotta plan ahead. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ2nF1w5opU
I'd be careful what you wish for -- my wife's already trying to blame me and my new IB for a plumbing leak we just got! :eek: It was just a ridiculously bad job of installing two stacked wax rings under a toilet, but anyway I thought it was pretty funny, and she would not be convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
OK, I have ripped into the wall. Here is the carnage.

Drywall gone

Getting the double layer of insulation out.

Too many 2X4s

Almost there.

Almost there......

Ha - Haaaaa. First test fit. So far everything going to plan. Finally starting to feel like this might really come out well.

9 inches of Concrete I have to get rid of. Time to go rent some heavy equipment. Hope my house doesn't fall down. :yikes: That should happen when I turn this thing on.

Now I need to frame around the sub to secure the wall again. Right now, you can push the wall 1" with one finger.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I'd be careful what you wish for -- my wife's already trying to blame me and my new IB for a plumbing leak we just got! :eek: It was just a ridiculously bad job of installing two stacked wax rings under a toilet, but anyway I thought it was pretty funny, and she would not be convinced otherwise.
My wife thinks I am just crazy. She does not share my love of excesses:

"Why do you need another speaker?"
"Why do they have to be so big?"
"Why can't you be happy with what you have?"
"How much is this costing?"
"What is it?"
"Tell me again what this is"
"What is it again?"
"Is this going to be too loud?"

I got that for a couple weeks. At least she was not critical about it, just trying to understand the insanity. Now she has accepted it an moved on. Phew..... I expect another session similar to this once she hears this thing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Making progress and wow you're not messing around -- taking out that concrete... did you run this by an architect? Or do you know for sure that the concrete's not load bearing?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Making progress and wow you're not messing around -- taking out that concrete... did you run this by an architect? Or do you know for sure that the concrete's not load bearing?
Nah, concrete is never load bearing...that's what they use drywall for! :rofl:

Well, what is 9" of load bearing anyway :huh: Answer: :hsd:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
:)

From what I know about concrete, there is no problem at all here. But, I did decide that I did not want to take the time and considerable effort to rent the drill myself and get silica dust all over the place. I called a local expert and he just came by and verified that there is no issue unless I had the whole house resting on it and then 10 more houses on top of that. Neither is the case. This is really over built here. There is only one end of a 12 foot beam on top of the wall about 2 feet away. I could trim back the whole wall if I wanted.

Just going to have them do it tomorrow for $200 and have it done. The drill was going to cost $100-150. They are going to use an electric jackhammer to do it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So, once this is done I need to:

1. Build the bracing system for the sub
2. Build the bracing system for the wall - if needed
3. Seal up the 1/4" gap around the wall
4. Fix the hole in the wall I had to make
5. Finish Trim around the sub
6. Install drivers
7. Seal the door close to the sub.
8. Finish sealing the ceiling between the 2 rooms. Have a few more hard to reach places.
9. Fix my gain issue between my Marantz pre-amp and the miniDSP - may need to get something to increase the gain between them.
10. Start tuning this beast
11. Start fixing 1000 rattles in the ceiling I am expecting.
12. ??
13. ??

It has definitely been more work than I bargained for digging into the wall.. A couple manifolds would have been sooooo much easier and less expensive. I would have been long done by now. But in the end, the line array takes up the least amount of space and looks :cool:. No need to explain that the holes are or where the base is coming from.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing item number six :devil:

I'm glad to see your progress. I wish I could say the same about my project. Both my speaker build and my IB build have been put on hold while I'm finishing up the basement.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing item number six :devil:

I'm glad to see your progress. I wish I could say the same about my project. Both my speaker build and my IB build have been put on hold while I'm finishing up the basement.

:hissyfit:

Understood. Your project was way more ambitious than mine and a good starting point is essential.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Ok, I decided to add a 2x6 frame to the back for stability, so the baffle is about 10 inches thick now with boards and frame. I decided to go as simple as possible for the braces. The entire baffle has been screwed and glued and have screwed and glued it to the concrete as well. I estimate I have used over 200 screws in this build and probably 150 of them were not needed. After gluing and screwing the braces to the floor the entire baffle passes the knuckle test better than any speaker I have encountered.

I should be able to get the woofs in this weekend!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow. Kreg joints -- talk about overkill :clap:. I like it. Looks fantastic!!! Looks to me like you really pulled it off. The bottom of the manifold is braced against a bottom plate that's screwed into the concrete too right? I put WAY more screws than necessary in my project too :R. Can't wait to hear your take on your new IB! Nice job.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Wow. Kreg joints -- talk about overkill :clap:. I like it. Looks fantastic!!! Looks to me like you really pulled it off. The bottom of the manifold is braced against a bottom plate that's screwed into the concrete too right? I put WAY more screws than necessary in my project too :R. Can't wait to hear your take on your new IB! Nice job.
Thanks man. Yeah, the bottom of the baffle and the frame is screwed down into the concrete. It ain't moving. I got a few of the drivers in today - pics tomorrow. I painted the back black and it looks ominous. I actually is starting to look like a dam now that it is painted. I should rename the build "IB Damed"

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Wow, great looking project, blitzer. I love to see people doing something different, and I don't think I've seen many punch through concrete walls to create their sub enclosures. I also love the pocket hole installation, and the 11" (!) threaded rods you're using to secure the drivers. Way to make things work!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Wow, great looking project, blitzer. I love to see people doing something different, and I don't think I've seen many punch through concrete walls to create their sub enclosures. I also love the pocket hole installation, and the 11" (!) threaded rods you're using to secure the drivers. Way to make things work!
Thanks, this is a seat of the pants, build as you go type of install. So far so good. More progress and pictures soon. Have a few lessons learned for future builders.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts