Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for those who deal with chronic pain. It is a place to share your story, tell how and when the pain started, what treatments you have tried, and, most importantly, how you deal with it. It is also a place where other members can offer support and prayers for those of us that have chronic pain.

I am very familiar with the struggles that chronic pain suffers endure. I have had it since 1998, caused by degenerative disc and joint disease. Multiple surgeries and treatments have not been sucessful in providing long term relief. I depend on my Faith to see me thru each day.

So, tell us your story, as well as those of friends and family. Offer your support and prayers to our members and their families and friends.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
As my mother-in-law likes to say - "I am sending you some light".

I have dealt with chronic pain since 2005. After trying just about everything (various medications, exercises, massage therapy and even acupuncture), I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year. At the present, I have been taking Gabapentin to assist in ensuring I sleep a bit each night.

I have good days and bad days, but being a stay at home dad and chasing my kids around helps to take my mind off of it.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As my mother-in-law likes to say - "I am sending you some light".

I have dealt with chronic pain since 2005. After trying just about everything (various medications, exercises, massage therapy and even acupuncture), I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year. At the present, I have been taking Gabapentin to assist in ensuring I sleep a bit each night.

I have good days and bad days, but being a stay at home dad and chasing my kids around helps to take my mind off of it.
Thanks for sharing your story. I certainly know about the good and bad days. Seems to be more bad ones as I get older. I was tested for fibro years ago and was told that I did not have it. I am at the point now that further tests and even additional surgery seem pointless. Coping is the strategy now. But, we make the best of each day, right?

My degenerative disc and joint issues are hereditary. My brother is dealing with the disc problems as well. My parents gave me many good things. Arthritis was not one of them...

I am now retired after 40 years as an electrical engineer. Thankfully, I had a desk job so physical challenges of a job were not a factor. Stress, however, definitely made pain worse and was the main factor in my decision to retire. I am still working, although part time and almost all from home via telecommuting.

A side benefit of retirement - my blood pressure is 10 points lower.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Have you ever heard about cluster headaches?

http://snapbug.ws/cluster/

I thank God they are under control and have been for several years now. I go to the doctor for my annual checkup and to get my prescription renewed for my preventive medicine. I pray it will continue to work for me. Being cluster free is like being high all the time. Of course I am blessed beyond what I deserve anyway. :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you ever heard about cluster headaches?

http://snapbug.ws/cluster/

I thank God they are under control and have been for several years now. I go to the doctor for my annual checkup and to get my prescription renewed for my preventive medicine. I pray it will continue to work for me. Being cluster free is like being high all the time. Of course I am blessed beyond what I deserve anyway. :dontknow:
Wow, Sonnie, I had no idea! What is the difference between cluster and migraines? I have a friend where I used to work with migraines. Saw one come on during a meeting with him. Almost like a stroke - unresponsive for a few minutes until he could tell me what was going on.

May the Great Physician completely heal you!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
A cluster is more consistent... although I have heard of cluster migraines. I have never experienced a migraine, but those who have both say that a cluster on the pain scale of 7/10 or higher is like a 12 hour migraine crammed into a 45 minute time frame.

As I understand migraines you want a dark quite place to lay down. That ain't happening with a cluster. When I was in my cycle and had no relief I paced the floors, banged my head against the wall... tried to pop my eyeball out... anything to relief the pain.

Watch that video in my link above and you will see exactly what a cluster sufferer goes through.

I tell ya... going back and reading those stories and watching that video brings tears to my eyes just knowing what those with no relief are going through... and remembering what I went through during my earlier years (they started in February 1994) when there was zero relief because we had no idea what was going on. All I knew was at the same exact time every single night I got these excruciating headaches that lasted 30-45 minutes and they were gone just like that, until that EXACT same time the next night. It is just plain stupid crazy how these things work. I have heard them referred to as the "suicide headache". I fully understand why.

You know I realize it probably ain't nothing even remotely close to what he experienced with the loss of his family and the pain he suffered, but I seriously believe I needed the patience of Job while we were trying to figure out what was going on. After several months my wife found a tiny little website with a couple hundred folks on it... www.clusterheadaches.com and it was amazing how we stumbled upon all he info. You have to remember it was shortly after the Internet started and there wasn't near the info there is today. I think that site has over 10,000 members now and has collected a wealth of info to help CH sufferers. At any rate, we took all the info to my doctor and he started researching and we finally figured out some relief. That relief ran out on me (I became immune to it) but we found another... and I pray it will help me live my life free of CH.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, Sonnie. I can't imagine what you go thru with this! Glad that you are able to keep it somewhat in control.

I am sure you approached each evening with dread, knowing what was coming.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Hello, I realize this is an old thread but I happen to come across it while searching for fellow sufferers since I happen to be one. I've had wide spread pain since 2000. The pain began at my shoulders with tight muscles and also chest pain but on the actual chest muscles. I had multiple tests performed and they could not pin point anything other than telling me I have Fibromyalgia. That was pretty devastating news at 27 years old. Anyways the pain has gotten worse since then and has spread even more. Now my joints get stiff and it is hard for me to walk after sitting down for sometime and it is hard to sleep because my back gets stiff and it is painful specially when I stretch at the spine. I have gotten used to it and I just try to block it out and stay busy with the family, pray and have faith.
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but I wanted to share what I am going through with others here. I can completely understand how you guys feel. It does not matter where the pain is or how much pain you have pain is pain even if we all have different pain tolerance.
I will pray for everyone here and keep up with the faith. All we can do is keep moving and count our blessings.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello, I realize this is an old thread but I happen to come across it while searching for fellow sufferers since I happen to be one. I've had wide spread pain since 2000. The pain began at my shoulders with tight muscles and also chest pain but on the actual chest muscles. I had multiple tests performed and they could not pin point anything other than telling me I have Fibromyalgia. That was pretty devastating news at 27 years old. Anyways the pain has gotten worse since then and has spread even more. Now my joints get stiff and it is hard for me to walk after sitting down for sometime and it is hard to sleep because my back gets stiff and it is painful specially when I stretch at the spine. I have gotten used to it and I just try to block it out and stay busy with the family, pray and have faith.
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but I wanted to share what I am going through with others here. I can completely understand how you guys feel. It does not matter where the pain is or how much pain you have pain is pain even if we all have different pain tolerance.
I will pray for everyone here and keep up with the faith. All we can do is keep moving and count our blessings.
So sorry to hear about your pain. I certainly know how you feel and at your young age it is quite devastating. I am sure you have been told that Fibromyalgia is a syndrome. Basically, the doctors tell you that when they don't have any other explanation. However, there are some tests that can determine if you have trigger points at certain areas of your body that may confirm the diagnosis, if you can find the right doctor...

I have degenerative disc and joint disease that began in 1997. I am now 65, semi-retired, so I can control my activities to some degree to avoid the bad days. It is a difficult pill to swallow (pun intended) but chronic pain management via prescription can help.

Mine is somewhat genetic, but I can remember so many things that I have lifted over the years that I had no business doing by myself. So, I am to blame to some degree. The beginning of my problems in 1997 was after lifting several 5kW portable generators after a hurricane knocked out power for a week.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
So sorry to hear about your pain. I certainly know how you feel and at your young age it is quite devastating. I am sure you have been told that Fibromyalgia is a syndrome. Basically, the doctors tell you that when they don't have any other explanation. However, there are some tests that can determine if you have trigger points at certain areas of your body that may confirm the diagnosis, if you can find the right doctor...

I have degenerative disc and joint disease that began in 1997. I am now 65, semi-retired, so I can control my activities to some degree to avoid the bad days. It is a difficult pill to swallow (pun intended) but chronic pain management via prescription can help.

Mine is somewhat genetic, but I can remember so many things that I have lifted over the years that I had no business doing by myself. So, I am to blame to some degree. The beginning of my problems in 1997 was after lifting several 5kW portable generators after a hurricane knocked out power for a week.
Yes that is what they told me that Fibro is a syndrome. One thing I don't have is the chronic fatigue that usually comes with Fibro so I am not sure if it is Fibro or Myofacial Syndrome. If I press on any part of my body with a finger of even lean on a table corner and press it hurts.
I have gotten used to this even though I don't wish it on anyone. I don't even look for answers anymore I just manage and try to forget about it. I am seeing the doctor today to see if he can order an MRI because my back has been hurting more and it is most likely my lower spine that is worn out since my sciatica is triggered at times. The joy of getting older haha!
I hope you keep doing better with the degenerative disc and your joints.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts