Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined and Sonnie sent me a welcome PM. I am a member of the AVS Forums, and found out about this Forum while I was perusing the Seaton Sound forum. I was looking for options for replacing my ancient Velodyne ULD-15 subwoofer (I have one of the very first ones to be sold, a Demo model from their very fist dealer). Since it is about 30 years old, I needed to see what my options are, in case it fails.

It looks like I'm joining a group of other retirees in this forum.

Background
1) Retired Aerospace EE, Power Systems Design. I designed the Power Control system for the current weather satellites as well as the Power Control system for the Space Station (a 75KW DAC, 99.2% efficient).
2) My Home Theater is in my living room: Mitsubishi HC5500 1080p projector and a Da-Lite 106", diagonal, High-Power, model C screen (manually retractable).
3) I'm using a Pioneer VSX-92TXH AVR
4) My speakers are a combination of brands: Fronts = JBL L96 (reconed, vintage 1960's), Center Klipsch RC-62 (new), Surrounds Radio Shack Optimus Pro-LX5 (they slipped in some "sleeper's" for a short time). I also have another pair of LX-5's for back surrounds, if I ever get around to going full 7.1 channel.
5) My sub-woofer is a Velodyne ULD-15, as I mentioned, above.
6) DVD: Sony DVP-NS75H (up-converting SD DVD).
7) Blu-Ray: Pioneer BDP-05FD.
8) Laserdisc: Pioneer DVL-919
9) HDTV: LG (32LC2D) 32" LCD TV for regular TV viewing (behind the big screen).
10) DirecTV: HD satellite service with 1 H20-100 & 1 HR20-700 DVR with a 1.5TB external SATA drive.

I've put most of this information in my profile. My current upgrade plans include upgrading my surround speakers with Klipsch RS-62's and, replacing my ancient (but still working) sub with a better one. I am looking at the SVS PC13-Ultra or, possibly, the Seaton Submersive. The PC13-Ultra fits in my room better, although it's not quite as good as the Submersive (from what I've read so far).

I joined this Forum to see what additional information I can learn. By the way, I have a Bachelors Degree in Physics, and I still can't get out of the habit of learning. I guess research is in my blood.

- Claus {non-Santa model}

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Claus. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Claus, Welcome aboard!

Enjoy your stay with us at the Shack.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Hi ya Claus, Welcome to the Shack.
There are many great sub options out there and I'm sure we can help you come up with one that is right for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts