Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Pioneer Elite PRo-97 rear projection TV for about 15 years. In that time a spider or two have made their way in between two panels of the front screen that images are reflected onto and have died or left debris. I can get the front panel (a third "protective" panel) off easily but I am unsure how to get the next panel out to clean between the two where my problem is. Any help? Thanks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
IIRC, you have to take the whole screen frame off and remove them from the rear of the frame.

The problem with trying to clean between the screens is the difficulty in getting them perfectly clean with no spots, dust, nor debris. You need a very clean area that is static free and cleaner that dries clear. The plastic can easily be damaged by most cleaners so be very careful what you use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Suggestions on a cleaner to use? Also, is there someplace I can find how o take the entire screen frame off without damaging the cabinetry?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I think it is pretty simple to remove. I am working from memory, but I had one of these long ago. There are philips head screws behind the grille, then it swings up and out slightly to lift it off in an upward direction. It is pretty obvious once you start looking at it. Nothing requires much force on these.

For a cleaner, I use a mix of 1 oz pure isopropanol and 1 oz Kodak Photoflo in a quart of distilled water. The alcohol is good for the static and as a drying agent and the photoflo is a surfactant. I have tested this solution on many lenses, screens, and mirrors and have found it to be completely safe for everything I tried, and this includes everything in your set. Some will say that the alcohol is a problem, but I have tested it by leaving it on surfaces extensively and found it safe and effective. The only thing that I have not tested on are some of the newer coatings on the PDP and LCD panels.

It is very important to dry the screen totally to avoid spotting. Have lots of lint free cloths. I use well luandered cotton diapers and microfiber cloths. Do not leave any dust nor oil nor smudges nor streaks as they will be visible, particularly between the lenses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts