Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

there is around 20% chance to get a click or sound dropout for 2-3 seconds during sweep signal.

This happens with 'Java' setting. 'ASIO' does not work at all - I opened separate thread for that

I increased the buffer settings in Configuration from 32k to 64K and 128k - no change.

What might be wrong?

thanks,
Michael

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
When using REW to make measurements it is best to exit any other applications, disconnect from the internet and disable any wireless networking. Interference on audio inputs from the wireless interface or high processor demand from other applications, anti-virus updates and the like can cause gaps in the generated or captured audio signals leading to incorrect measurement results.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wi Fi was disabled (not disconnected but disabled).
Laptop was doing nothing else in the background

I thought it is a Java issue, but ASIO does not work at all on that machine

How can I debug this issue?
What else can I try?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Clicks and dropouts typically mean the laptop is not keeping up with the data flow required, either because the Java thread is being suspended while something else happens or there is some contention for the audio I/O with another application. If nothing else is running then difficult to know what else to suggest, other than making sure the laptop is set for maximum performance in its power options.

Unusual for ASIO not to work, ASIO problems are usually either an out of date driver or buffer sizes/latency set too small.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ASIO driver is the latest from Tascam website.
OS is Windows 7

Strange. So, you say there is no any kind of tracing/debugging facility I can activate?
I must say I did not check the CPU levels in task manager (but again, there was nothing running on the laptop)

What are these buffer settings in the configuration page?
They did not have any impact though..

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
ASIO buffer settings are in the ASIO driver control panel, for the US-144 they are displayed as a latency setting - 'highest latency' gives the lowest processing load.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John

with ASIO I don't get a sound at all - in REW only. Foobar works just fine.
However, I tried different latency settings there without luck..

REW does work with Java sound engine, however I get these sporadic dropouts

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
You are better off leaving the REW soundcard setting as default and setting the card you are using as the default in Windows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have this problem: the curve ( on RTA) drops after 2-3 sec. after I active sine wave or pink noise. Anyone can help me? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I reinstalled Windows 7 (on the same occasion changed the flavor to 64-bit).
Updated firmware of the soundcard US-144mkII to 2.03 (it was 2.01)

and now everything works just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts