Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wish to coat the paper cone that I'm using to build an 18" sub with, to add durability and possibly stiffness, what would you guys suggest?

I have used 2 part epoxy before (for added strength) and it looked ok, but not great.

I have seen Wet Look for sale at Parts Express, but I have never used it. Any feedback on it?

I have even considered soaking in a water thin, or nearly water thin, CA then hitting it with accelerator, and painting over it with a semi gloss black paint.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you do that to add strength, add weight, or protect it from moisture...or a combination of the three?

I have used two part epoxy like you used the CA in the pics. I wanted to soak the cone with water thin CA to save the added weight of the thicker glue but I'm afraid it might make the cone brittle due to a lack of flexibility. Maybe I should just use the Wet Look black or clear and leave it at that.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The only thing I can think of would be to find a glue with a low 'dry weight' and high stiffness when dry; the more dry weight the lower you will push the Fs, due to increased Mms; and that will also likely kill the efficiency a bit too, there will probably be a few other T/S parameter changes too I am missing :)

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Did you do that to add strength, add weight, or protect it from moisture...or a combination of the three?

I have used two part epoxy like you used the CA in the pics. I wanted to soak the cone with water thin CA to save the added weight of the thicker glue but I'm afraid it might make the cone brittle due to a lack of flexibility. Maybe I should just use the Wet Look black or clear and leave it at that.
neither. it started because I simply inverted the dust cap and the reverse side wasn't painted so I painted it. it was shiny and glossy and didnt match so I did the whole thing.

the thing that really got me was I went fron a single 2 layer voicecoil to a dual 4 layer coil. This doubled the copper weight, doubled windings in the gap, doubled tinsel leads, doubled tinsel lead slap pads.... added a lot of mass and electrical characteristics. everyone told me it wouldn't make much of a difference.

then I added paint and I got hate mail cuz I messeed with Fi's perfect balanced cone and changed my thiele small params.

people are so retarded!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny stuff...

I used 2 part epoxy to coat 18" cones like that for our dB Drag Extreme car years ago for strength. It seemed to work well untill I painted it on COATED paper cones...they exploded because the epoxy didn't stick to the shiny surface. :coocoo:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts