Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT - Posts cut from "First time Sub DIY - Help Plz" thread.

I could not help but notice that you are prevelent throughout the thread posts offering key advice! I'd like to offer a big THANK YOU! :hail:
You're right about Mike P, he is one of the wonderful resources of this Forum. He is knowledgeable, cooperative, easy going, but lives in a foreign country . . . . (joke).
I have to add my thanks too Mike.

PS you're awfully quick when you respond with those response charts. I don't think there's anyone else that can do that.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: First time Sub DIY - Help Plz

Or is it I that lives in a foreign country?
No really, look at where Mikes is . . . . is he even on the Canadian Shield? Mike HAS TO BE a very stout and sturdy guy. Maybe I'm a little jealous . . . .

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Wow! I was on a survey crew once @ -42. My eye lid froze to the survey instrument and we were a 3 mile hike from any place to unfreeze my eye lid. It kinda gave the term, "keep an eye out" new meaning. Now that I think about it I'm not jealous at all.

·
Registered
373 Posts

It sure feels like a Foreign country!
I was gonna say "slightly north of a foreign country". You're way up there, even for a Canadian. :D

-40 is painful cold. I have had the 'pleasure' of working outside in temperatures like this.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

That's just plain scary. I remember warning my kids about not getting locked in the food freezer. The freezer is only -10 . . . . . warm in comparison.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts

I went fishing with a friend in winter once. We were both about 14. We walked about 30-45min back to a large pond on a friend of his family's property. It was about 8deg outside and there was snow falling and about a foot and a half on the ground. He hooked a nice little bass and it got snagged up in an old downed tree just off of an old diving board platform with the board removed. He crawled out on it and couldn't get it unsnagged so he asked me to crawl out there and help. The main pipe collapsed and we both fell in the pond getting completely submerged in our coats, thermals and all. We pulled ourselves out and jogged as best we could under the circumstances back to his house leaving our poles, tackle and whatever else we had at the bottom of the pond. That's hands down the coldest I've ever been. I peed on myself on the way home to try to keep warm. Other than minor frostbite on our toes we somehow came out ok.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

See! I knew it. I've told all the other guys on here that you're not quite right . . . . . that cold water and peeing yourself musta done somethin terrribal. :heehee:

·
Registered
162 Posts

That's hands down the coldest I've ever been.
Water is maybe 200 times more conductive thermally than air. You can visualize it dunking a red hot steel bar into a bucket of water.

"Water cold" feels like a whole different animal and can be extremely dangerous in a very short time. I'm happy you made it home quickly with no ill effects. :gulp:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

What's the average water temperature around Manitoulin Island? That's gotta be pretty cold.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts

Water is maybe 200 times more conductive thermally than air. You can visualize it dunking a red hot steel bar into a bucket of water.

"Water cold" feels like a whole different animal and can be extremely dangerous in a very short time. I'm happy you made it home quickly with no ill effects. :gulp:
Yeah. I don't even think I can describe the feeling. It was like being hit with a tazer or something:yikes:. I was really sick with pneumonia after that too. Not a good month. Ahhh childhood memories.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts