Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A mate of mine came over to check out my sealed build. He was very impressed with the sound and build. So he popped a question and asked i could help him build 2 of them. I said that this was my first build and that he should consider a ported design (for HT) since he has the space for 2 big subs, my guess that he could fit 2 200L subs on each side of his cabinet or build 1 400L sub with 2 drivers in the same enclosure. Also, he's not interested about tuning it low as i suggested an LLT design (or at least my understanding of it)

I plugged in the figures using 2 IXL 18.2.2's in a 400L enclosure tuned to 19.5hz using a slot port with the dimensions of 18inch W x 4inch H x 29inch D. This is using 1000w into 4ohms on a Behringer EP1500/Ep2500 with a 4th Order HPF applied at 12hz. The WinISD modelled results of this are below:

1. SPL - 121db flat across the freq to 30hz where it starts to roll off
2. 1st port resonance = 233hz
3. Rear port velocity = peaks at 17.60hz @ 20.46ms
4. Group delay (incremental) = 18ms @30hz, 44.5ms @20hz, 75.8ms @ 11hz
5. Cone excursion = peaked slightly over the 0.85 inch point @ 0.95 inch at 12.70hz

My questions to you are:
- Are these modelled figures ok?
- Would he be better off building 2 separate subs or 1 with a dual driver config?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't have a computer with WinISD at the moment so I can't verify your numbers. 2 subs is usally better then one as it allows more options for placement to get the best bass response.
The numbers look both correct and good :T Would be a very impressive sub for 400L of space, i also agree you would be better of using two 200L boxes for placement and transport flexability

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Its kinda great as this gives me the opportunity to get some exp building and tuning a ported sub. I've said to him that a 400L box will be massive and it will take some serious WAF to place it around, not to mention moving it! :gah:

I've recommended to him the 200L tuned to 19hz build, along with the EP2500 as the price diff between the 2500 & 1500 is not that much really. Now, this is the part where he has to put the hard sell on his misus..lol ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts