Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REW seems to be a very good program but it seems to lack one vital function for Live Audio work. SMAART, SYSTune and others allow you to compare, in real time, the measured Speaker/ Microphone / Room response with a duplicate Reference signal and to then adjust the Speaker/room response for the difference. Especially with Impulse measurements...this allows you to accurately duplicate your reference source, ensuring that your speakers are duplicating the source material.

I may have missed this...but does REW allow me to do this?

If not...are there any plans to enable this type of functionality?

Thanks..Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
REW does not allow external test signals to be used to generate its measurements, but it is on the list of things to get done at some point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be great John. That would allow your product to compete in the Live Audio market with SMAART, SYSTune and others.

The problem with those programs is that they are so expensive and really aren't cost effective for occasional users who require it every now and then. By being able to compare the room response to the reference signal you can tell exactly what the room is doing to the sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
REW does not allow external test signals to be used to generate its measurements, but it is on the list of things to get done at some point.
Actually John..it isn't an external test signal that SMAART generates. It simply taps the signal going out to the speakers and then uses that as a reference to compare the Speaker response against. That reference signal is "pure" and untainted by wall reflections, Standing waves, nodes etc. You can then see what the room is doing to the sound and work to get the room response signal. All signals are generated inside the program. It just allows for a dual channel measurement and then overlays the 2 against one another.

I'm sure you know this....you did create REW and it is great for doing what it does.:D

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The signal is external as far as REW is concerned, i.e. it does not originate from REW. Music is just another test signal, albeit one which is not quite as well suited to measurement as the sweeps REW generates itself - that is one of the mean reasons you need the coherence plot when looking at the results so that you can be warned about areas where the results are unreliable, principally because the music signal doesn't have much energy there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts