Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got two brand new 12 inch Sundown Audio Zv.4 subwoofers. I wanted to compare them against the many other subwoofers I have in my collection. The Zv.4 is the biggest sub I’ve ever seen in person.

Here is the Sundown against the first subwoofer I ever bought, the Image Dynamics IDQ v2. I’ve put this thing through hell and back and it’s still one of the best sounding subs I’ve ever heard.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second up is my favorite subwoofer. The mighty Crystal CMP 12. This was probably the first SQL sub produced, at one point it was the loudest sub out. Made in USA by TC sounds, underhung motor, 35+ lbs, etc…

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They sure are...

I hope you don't mind a comparison pic of the Zv.4 against my SI HT 18's. I love the SI HT 18's in every way possible. It's going to be interesting how the Zv.4 stacks up sonically against up everything else I have in my HT.

Currently hooked up I have 2x SI HT 18's...2100 Watts each
2x Crystal CMP 12's....1300 watts total
2x Sundown SA-8's...2100 watts total
1x Arc Audio Flatlyne 12...can't remember, either 2100 or 1300 watts
1x Onyx (don't know the model)...same deal as the Arc, 2100 or 1300 watts...

For more comparison purposes, pic wise, I have 12" Diamond D9's, 12" Alpine Type X, 15" Sundown SA, 8" Sundown SD-8 & 15" Skar IVX, and I think that's about it.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Seeing those photo's certainly presents a stark comparison between drivers - that Sundown looks like a beast! It's pretty much designed for SPL only though, right? The cone area is maybe what you'd get in a 6.5" driver, so there's not much for sound radiation (surrounds don't produce the sound). What is the xmech on that driver?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't find the specs on my phone right now but iirc 30mm Xmax and 50mm xmech.

This driver was designed to play in the lows. There is an SPL version coming out later.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here we go!

The Z v.4 series is our 1750 RMS rated line – they feature a 3” diameter 8-layer flat aluminum coil wound on spiral cut black anodized aluminum former. They feature our new spider, surround, and cone platform. Production linear x-max is around ~35mm one-way by 70% BL with a total mechanical clearance of 62.5mm in the motor. The Z v.4 series features a large internal magnet shorting ring for reduced inductive distortion.

These woofers are designed excel in high output DAILY low frequency applications. If you are looking for a burp driver or a driver to excel on “higher” bass frequencies; this is NOT it in stock form. We will offer SPL burp style re-cone kits for them at a late date as well as custom hand-built units –- but the stock format is not made for SPL burps; it is a high output musical woofer for daily, bass boxing, and bass race type applications.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Seeing those photo's certainly presents a stark comparison between drivers - that Sundown looks like a beast! It's pretty much designed for SPL only though, right? The cone area is maybe what you'd get in a 6.5" driver, so there's not much for sound radiation (surrounds don't produce the sound). What is the xmech on that driver?
Its radiating area is more than it looks like. Much more than a 6.5" driver, haha. Using half of the surround width the extra excursion capable from the woofer more than makes up for the reduction in radiating area.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Almost bought a pair of ZV4 15's the other day but the shipping was too dear. Either way their depth always reminds me of the SMD 18's.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I have only seen Klippel testing done on the 15" and I dont believe it stated Sd either. Also from the findings I have gotten in the past the Sd ratings have just been a generic number from most of the car audio companies. BUT I did ask Sundown the Sd question regarding their 12, 15 and 18. So I should know here soon.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Exactly and the car audio companies usually state 1210. I think it was 810 for the 15 and 480 for the 12's. BUT when getting actual measured Sd it has always been a different number then published. Although some companies post legit parameters.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah these things are heavy, almost 70 lbs.

The subs are packaged excellent. A styrofoam clamshell and two cardboard boxes protect it. I would guess very little or no sundown subs have ever been damaged in shipping.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I measured across the cone with a fabric tape measure. 20.5 cm across from where the surround stops and the cone starts.

The CMP was 23 cm across.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I beleive you measure the cone and to the middle of the surround. But someone else will have to answer that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From another forum............

The surround is the most "controversial" part of the driver I suppose -- but they are there for a reason. Each surround is sized for the frame platform it mates to (they get larger as the cone diameter / frame clearance / spider diameter increases) and is designed to support 5mm more excursion than the frame can support so that we don't see surround failures from over-excursion even at full frame x-mech. It's also pretty linear -- I had the Z v.4 15" prototype Klippel tested (early prototype with a bit less x-max) :

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Was hoping for an update on these project. Have not heard a consensus on how these drivers are comparing to all the other subs that the OP has built.

I am hoping to do a build for my dedicated HT closed room of 13 X 14 X 8 room. Thinking of building a few sealed subs just trying to determine what drivers to use. I am guessing that I would not be lacking output with these drivers but also wondering what the SQ is like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts