Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a Harman Kardon HKTS-7 5.1 Home Theatre speaker system, which I intended to hook-up to my existing TV and DVD to improve the sound quality and experience of watching tv movies and dvd’s. However, the manual for the speaker system refers to connecting it to a ‘receiver’, which I imagined was the DVD or TV, but I am now not so sure. Does this speaker system need a separate ‘receiver’ unit to get it to work? If so, can you advise the best (or most cost-effective) type. The speaker system itself was over £300, so I don’t want to have to spend too much on yet another unit, but if needs must, then so be it. My TV is a Philips Plasma (model 42PF9631D) and DVD is Samsung (model HR755). My other concern is the end cables for the satellite speakers are bare cables, with no plugs – and these do not fit any of the sockets on the TV or DVD. Forgive my ignorance. I feel very confused by this system and just want to get it working.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Yes, the system you purchased is speakers only, you will need a separate AVR (Audio video receiver) to power them.

For bang for the buck, look at Onkyo, especially refurbed units. HK and Yamaha also have budget units that are good, but you may have other options in the UK.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all ...Welcome to the forum :wave:

I have recently bought a Harman Kardon HKTS-7 5.1 Home Theatre speaker system, ....
If you just bought the speaker system, try exchanging them at the store for an HTIB (Home Theater in A Box), those comes with the receiver and speakers and is ready to hook everything up.

Look for Onkyo (5100, 6100 or 7100) if possible, there's other brands but Onkyo is the best bang for the buck :yes:.

Good luck :T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts