Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, here is what I am trying to accomplish. I want to set up a 5.1 surround sound system in my bedroom (college apartment). The main purpose of this system will be used for video games and watching movies on my PS3. I will be using the PS3 as a Bluray player.

Originally I was just going to buy the Logitech z 5500 system which I believe are computer speakers. But after reading around on these forums I think that you guys might be able to help me get something better for my money that will be upgradeable in the future. Ok so lets get down to business.

My budget should be maxed at around $500. The space that I am trying to fill isn't really big at all. I have attached a picture of my room dimensions for reference.

So what do you guys think? Can you help me?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Welcome to the shack. To be honest I do not know of a good 5.1 speaker system for 500.00 except DIY. I will bump this in hopes that someone has an answer. :)

Matt

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
500 Dollars for a 5.1 system really would be difficult. It looks like a AVR is also needed in addition to Speakers. I would look at Craigslist and explore DIY as well.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
500 dollars is a tough cookie.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Primus-P142-Bookshelf-speakers-P-142-NEW-PAIR_W0QQitemZ350340829588QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item5191f0d194

Get 2 pairs a center isn't necessary.

That puts you at 280.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-SA-HE70-AV-Control-Receiver-5-1-Channel_W0QQitemZ270562206313QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item3efec3a269

should end up being around 70. Is a very good budget receiver I used for a few months before my current receiver.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

Use the sub above to finish off your system

That setup would be very nice for a small room.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Nicely played Siberian. The Dayton is the piece de resistance.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
If you want a more modern AVR the Onkyo 507 is $250 or less at shoponkyo.com right now. This would give you more modern features and a warranty.

You could save a little on the speakers by going with the 6.5" Insignia Bass Reflex from Best Buy at $84. I've heard these in a couple different settings, and they are quite good for the money. If you wanted to use one as a center, the odd cabinet shape makes it difficult to lay on it's side, but you can get creative with some rubber door stops.

There are less expensive Dayton subs, but for <$50 savings, I wouldn't go with less than the 12".

Don't forget additional cables, speaker wire, etc which should be about $25 @ monoprice.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If you want a more modern AVR the Onkyo 507 is $250 or less at shoponkyo.com right now. This would give you more modern features and a warranty.

You could save a little on the speakers by going with the 6.5" Insignia Bass Reflex from Best Buy at $84. I've heard these in a couple different settings, and they are quite good for the money. If you wanted to use one as a center, the odd cabinet shape makes it difficult to lay on it's side, but you can get creative with some rubber door stops.

There are less expensive Dayton subs, but for <$50 savings, I wouldn't go with less than the 12".

Don't forget additional cables, speaker wire, etc which should be about $25 @ monoprice.
Yeah those Insignia's are nice speakers. I lost my head though. I should have suggested the Behringer 2030p's They are ideal for small spaces and adequate for large ones.

Just get 2 pairs the Dayton sub and a receiver. You can usually get an HK AVR for around 200.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys for all of the input, but i was really wanting to go 5.1. I know my budget is so low that it's hard to help me but thank you. I mean would I be better off just ordering the Logitech Z 5500?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah those Insignia's are nice speakers. I lost my head though. I should have suggested the Behringer 2030p's They are ideal for small spaces and adequate for large ones.

Just get 2 pairs the Dayton sub and a receiver. You can usually get an HK AVR for around 200.
What about the center channel? And what is a HK AVR, sorry i'm a noob.

I will have to check my bank account but I might be able to stretch my budget to 800, maybe 1000. I will post later today whether or not that is possible. Thank you

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
What about the center channel? And what is a HK AVR, sorry i'm a noob.

I will have to check my bank account but I might be able to stretch my budget to 800, maybe 1000. I will post later today whether or not that is possible. Thank you
Harmon Kardon Audio Video Receiver. If you watch a lot of movies, you may want to stretch your budget for a matching center channel speaker since it carries most of the dialog. I think with a decent pair of front speakers you may be able to get by without a center but I have not tried that myself.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
For 1 dead center between 2 front speakers, a center channel isn't as critical. If you're going to have multiple seats off center, the center become, IMHO, very important.

HK is Harmon Kardon. Often you can find these AVRs refurbed direct from the factory on ebay for a very good price.

If you want to go 5.1, get two pairs of any of the speakers mentioned, and a really cheap pair of speakers for your surrounds. Parts Express has many options under $40/pair, Frys occasionally has low end polks for sale, or just hit up craigslist.

Use 2 good speakers for the fronts, one for the center, put the spare in storage, and use the cheap speakers as your surrounds.

Or, increase you budget to, say, $650, and you'll be in much better shape.

The system that you're building now will be fall better and last you longer than the Computer speakers as it will be more flexible, upgradable, and will grow as your needs grow.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I was going to pitch the Behringers, but figured the cost savings of the Insignias would make more sense.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
An HK AVR is a Harman Kardon AV Receiver. You are going to need an Receiver to provide amplification to drive your Speakers and the HK's are one of the cheapest solutions out there.

If you could stretch your budget to 1000 Dollars, it would greatly increase the quality of your Home Theater,
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks again you guys for all the help. I will post later today when I have my final budget, from there we can start working on finalizing the actual setup so I can order my parts online.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys, good news, it looks my budget has increased to $1,000.

1. I mean to a broke college student $1,000 is a lot of money, so I was just wondering if I could have a decent set up for that amount of money. I mean I don't want to spend that much money if I won't even notice a difference from the Logitech Z-5500.

2. So now with my new budget of max $1,000 could you guys help me put together a 5.1 surround sound system that will last me and be upgradeable in the future.

3. I will need all 5 speakers and the sub, an AVR, and anything else necessary. I will be using my PS3 for Bluray so no need for a DVD player.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
SVS is tough to beat. Unfortunately, the SBS-01's are now backordered until June. Simply amazing value and a great Speaker. Truly might be worth the wait.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
The SVS, even before the AVR and not including, are more than his $1000 budget. I know we all love SVS, but they're not a magic bullet.

I'd say:
$450 - 3 pairs of Behringer a2030p
$380 - Onkyo 607 from shoponkyo
$170 - Dayton 12" sub from Parts express
$35 - Cables from Monoprice

$1035 total

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The SVS, even before the AVR and not including, are more than his $1000 budget. I know we all love SVS, but they're not a magic bullet.

I'd say:
$450 - 3 pairs of Behringer a2030p
$380 - Onkyo 607 from shoponkyo
$170 - Dayton 12" sub from Parts express
$35 - Cables from Monoprice

$1035 total
1. So i'm guessing if I bout 3 Pairs, two would be used for Left and Right Channel, One for center, and Two for the satellite (surround) speakers? and the extra would just be extra in case something broke?

2. Also I typed in "Behringer a2030p" in google and it literally had zero results.

3. I am having trouble finding both the onkyo 607 and dayton 12".

Could you post links to the actual product where I can order all of these parts, I have no clue what I am looking for?

Thank you

1 - 20 of 90 Posts