Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate absolutely loves my way too bright car audio mids/tweets.

For a home audio (gaming/music) system would it be possible to wire 3 speakers / 3 tweets into a single channel to get them from the 2ohm load they are to a 6ohm (so the receiver doesn't have a heart attack)?

In my mind it seems perfectly feas'able but it will need to use a new crossover. I don't know why but something bugs me saying a 2ohm component speaker crossover wont work in this case..am I wrong?

Receiver is rated for like 90 or 110 watts per channel.. speakers are 90 I believe.. tweets are 50. with 3 wired in series it obviously would be under powering the cones is the only issue I see here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You've got a couple of things to contend with. First the series wiring could cause a phase issue leading to a lack of focus and bass. Second is the crossover. They are generally designed so that the point it based on the resistance of each and it could have a bad outcome (or it could sound great!). Making a crossover may be the best option for the receiver but it may not give you the output that the roommate desires. What about going the other way and using a car audio amp or a different amp that is stable to lower loads?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts