Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to jump into REW. Any problems with running the cables to the theater room and not having the computer in the same room? I do not own a laptop and do not want to move my computer around. I am planning to run an xlr cable for the mic from the xenyx802 to the seating area from downstairs (roughly 50'), plus I will need to run rca's from the sound card to my processor in the theater (roughly 35'). All of the other connections will be in the computer room (unless I am missing something)?? Please feel free to chime in if I am.

Since I have not had a chance to run any measurements (don't own any of the equipment yet), anybody foresee problems with theater/computer not being in the same room? It is half of a flight of stairs to the tv, so I can run back and forth fairly easily. Just don't know how important it is to have the computer right there. Plus, my desktop has a decent sound card.

As for BFD - I may hold off on that till I see what the upcoming Outlaw Trinnov processor is released and I see the before and after results.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
plus I will need to run rca's from the sound card to my processor
Just one RCA.

so I can run back and forth fairly easily
It shouldn't be too bad. You'll do the soundcard calibrate routine with a short cable directly at the computer. Then you'll run the Check Level routine, where you'll have to go to the equipment and adjust the receiver volume to get 75dB at the Radio Shack meter sitting beside the microphone.

Then you go back to the computer to run the Calibrate routine, and then Measure....

The only noise you'll have to be concerned with is the one RCA from line-out to the computer, but it should be fine.

brucek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks brucek!

The diagram shows 2 splits from the line out on the sound card.

from the first split one loops back to the line in and the other goes to another split so that i could feed a left and right input on the processor. is that second split not needed (just feed the left or right speaker)?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
The diagram shows 2 splits from the line out on the sound card.
The splitter adapter on the line-out and line-in on the soundcard are to 'break out' the stereo plugs into left and right channels. You need the right channel only.
There is a Y-splitter at the receiver to split (if you want) the mono signal to feed both left and right mains speakers for testing.

from the first split one loops back to the line in
No. We only loop from line-out to line-in when performing the soundcard calibration file. Then the loop is removed and that calibrated channel is now used for measuring.

brucek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I think I understand now and I think I know what I need to buy now. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts