Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Bought a Mac and never looked back.

Votes: 11 21.6%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to what everyone is doing for a computer these days.
I used to be very big on building and overclocking PC's, then one day I bought a MacBook Pro...

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I recently upgraded to the following:

ASUS Z170 / Intel Core i5-6500 / Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-2400 / Crucial MX200 250GB SSD
Silverstone LC13B case with a Silverstone Gold PFC ATX1000 P/S / Noctua NH-L12 CPU cooler

It's very quiet and looks nice on the equipment rack - blends in with the audio components. I'm using an optical output to the old Parasound AVC2500u that's just used for the PC and cable box.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I built my main machine that is my media server but I also just decided on a new Surface Book to replace my Sony notebook.

I would probably still build a desktop but the notebooks are so powerful and with NAS I might not need one. I could easily dedicate the Sony notebook to stationary duties.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
I guess mine would be pre-built as I use i3NUCs now.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
All of the above and more.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I LOVE server chassis. Massive amounts of space, good airflow, and rack-mountable. I can keep all my gear in the same xU form factor, and it all looks nice.

But that requires me to build them. Oh well... I still contend that I can build one better than I can buy for the same money, and I don't mind doing the work. Keeps me in shape. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I went with a brand name and then upgraded some of the internals.
For me a build would be around the same price. Computer tech has really slowed down, nothing really new in the last 2 or so years, just 5% fast, 10% cooler and 15% less power.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I voted laptop because that is what I use the most. However I use all the above and spend a lot of time searching the net using my iPad when I'm home.
I have a good Dell laptop with touchscreen and I installed a 1TB SSD in it so I do everything even video editing. Mac's are nice but too exspencive and you can't do nearly as much with them as far as upgrades and such.
I also still ovation ally use an old Commadore Amiga to play classic games and even do video work.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I haven't been fortunate on the laptop front. I had one Toshiba that outlasted its usefulness, but the rest of them have developed issues, such as my current Dell which has a defective keyboard controller. Sure, I can use an external keyboard, but that defeats the purpose of using a laptop. A friend of mine has a MacBook, and it's been very reliable, although I did have to repair his external P/S. Overall, I'm impressed with its design and build quality.

Server chassis are great, and it would be cool to have the PC in a rack, hidden away. My stuff is in view. It's not a server case, but this is the case I bought for my daughter's PC. The system board mounts with what's normally the back rotated to the top. It's very ergonomic. The top cover is currently off while I await the arrival of the rest of the longer cables - DVI & MIDI. The longer cables will also allow me to push the PC back out of the way. The fans turn fairly slowly and are essentially silent. It's a SilverStone Raven case and it's quite well built.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RV03&area=en&top=C

Attachments

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
All of the above, but I've been in the "bought a Mac..." stage for a while now. I enjoy the PC building process but it's just not something I have time for these days. I don't spend a lot of time on the computer at home anymore and generally don't have a need for a high performance machine. Our Mac Mini and Macbook get the job done nicely, and can run Windows or Linux if I ever have a need for a different OS.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I've always built my own.....and I still do! :)

I like having that level of control and customization, although the industry is trying to make that difficult for builders in general (identifying computers by parts - You can't even change a video card anymore without some sort of software prep - like un-registering programs and the like).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I still have my big custom CORSAIR 900 rig ,which used to be my movie server - but now I have a SYNOLOGY NAS so I just access all the movies on my Synology with JRIVER.....:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've always built my own computers. That way I know exactly what components I'm getting, like motherboard, power supply, memory, and graphics card. Most important, I can select the processor that fits my needs, not the needs of a wide variety of users.

Then, when its assembled I install a Linux operating system (Mint Cinnamon for the past five years.) I realized several years ago, when I had to buy three copies of Windows XP for the three computers in my home, that Microsoft was out, as far as I was concerned. Now I can install the same system on a thousand computers if I want, and it costs nothing (unless I donate a few buciks.)

old arkiedan :eek:lddude::eek:lddude:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Been a Mac fan for the last 5 years or so. Prior to that, I used to build my own Windows based systems for PC Gaming.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do love my MacBook Pro for reliable day to day performance. I think the build quality far exceeds the flimsy plastic notebooks but the price is a hard pill to swallow. I do miss (a little bit) building a big powerful tower then tweaking, overclocking and all that.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I do love my MacBook Pro for reliable day to day performance. I think the build quality far exceeds the flimsy plastic notebooks but the price is a hard pill to swallow. I do miss (a little bit) building a big powerful tower then tweaking, overclocking and all that.
The MacBook Pro is a very nice piece of hardware. I'll never forget when my current employer (semi-retirement job - 3 days a week) purchased one - I almost flipped when I saw the way the power supply docks with the laptop (that's positively brilliant in so many ways). Then I opened the laptop - everything about it felt different (even better than the Fujitsu laptop I had several years ago, which had been my favorite). After a few years of heavy use, that machine has been flawless - opened and shut numerous times a day.

I'm being a bit redundant here, but I had to respond because of your screen name in a thread about computers. For a former employee of Data General, Nova refers to their 16bit line of minicomputers (in the days before micros). For those too young to remember, it was fun back then. It's amazing to recall the 96MB disk drives, which were massive devices, with screw-in disk packs composed of ten platters (19 data surfaces and one for servo), and it ran on 208VAC, 3-phase power. Of course, those were small in comparison to what preceded them.

I purchased a pair of featherweight 250GB SSDs for the two new systems - fast as lightening, while using precious little energy. Perhaps, as amazing as the miniaturization coupled with the tremendous increase in storage capacity and speed, is the remarkable decrease in cost - from tens of thousands to less than a hundred dollars. Even that doesn't take into account the increase in reliability. Progress :eek:lddude:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts