Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I'm considering building two sub-woofers in a cylinder shape like the SVS PC13-Ultra and more or less of the same size. The problem is that I don't have any experience as so far I only built a pair of speakers but those were based on an existing project already and anyway it's a completely different story altogether to build a sub-woofer from what I've read so far.

Since I'm somehow limited in terms of space I'm considering a 12" to 15" drive at most. I have however some latitude in building a taller sub-woofer, although for aesthetic reasons I'd prefer to keep them under 50" hight or so. Actually I'm also thinking about taking advantage of these subs as if they were bass traps since I will place them in two corners (no options here). Maybe I'm being too optimistic here...

So, I've started some simulations with winISD and the problems began. I'm more inclined for a vented box as these subs are only going to be used for AV and not for stereo and I give most importance to deep frequency response above all. In fact I would like to go as low as 15Hz in my room with about 110dB SPL but here I'm sure if I'm being realistic or not so this is for now just a rough estimate.

I need help in understanding some basic issues. For instance there are 5 different alignments possible such as QB3, BB4/SBB4, C4/SC4, EBS3 and ESB6. for me this is Chinese...
I chose BB4 (as it was the default) and then I get a volume of 93.10l and a Tuning frequency of 17Hz. I also entered 350W.

Questions:

Are these 'optimum' values? From my rough calculations I can probably build a box up to 200l or a little more. What do I lose (or gain) if I increase this 'optimum' volume? And can I play with the frequency as well?

And finally, I noticed on the graph for 'Cone excursion' that bellow 44Hz the value increases above the Xlim and even worse eventually will increase above XMax destroying my driver!!! :eek:

How do you guys solve this excursion problem? By decreasing the amount of power? But then so decreases the SPL...

Sorry if I'm making a lot of stupid questions but like I wrote I'm newbie in what subs concern.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm modelling a Scan-Speak 30w-4558t00 right now

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm being already helped on another forum so there's no need to answer this thread any more. Thanks anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts