Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I own the Samsung DLP HLN5065W and here is my situation. About a month ago I noticed a few bluish blotches on the lower left of my screen. They really didn't bother me all that much but of course I didn't like it. a month or so prior to that it did seem to me that the quality and sharpness of the picture was not quite as good as it had been, but again it wasn't bad enough for me to be distressed.

Eventually after the blotches, I started to see rapid white flickering from time to time. If it got bad, I could simply turn the set off and let it rest for about 10 minutes, power up, and the tv would be back to it's semi-normal self. The flickers would come again, but it was always random and it might not experience the flickering for as long as a day and a half. The flickers started to get worse and more frequent and if I let it stay on and flicker for about 15-20 minutes, images would start to get the graying effect to skin tones(sort of like a cheesy eighties music video effect/Phil Collins "In the Air" style). Colors might get extremely oversaturated, sometimes some images were in black and white but the screen would still have other images with washed out dull color. I can always tun the set off for 10 minutes and then the picture will return to normal - sometimes for just an hour, sometimes for several hours before the flickering and distrotion happens again. I have never seen any dark areas, white spots, weird geometrical patterns or plaid patterns, or freezing.

I thought maybe it was a fan and getting hot so I opened up the rear and cleaned out dust everywhere. When I powered back up, the blotches were gone and have remained gone but the flickering and graying comes back randomly after the set has been on for a while. There have been two times when I let the set run for at least 30 minutes while in full blown flickering/distortion mode, powered off, then on again within just a few minutes and I heard the "banshee" sound, but I would power off within about 10 sec, let it rest for maybe a minute, power back up and I would not hear a squeal. In fact I never hear a squeal despite dozens of power ups. iactually hoped it was the color wheel and not DMD board so I removed the lamp hoping to see fragments of the wheel or at least wear to the edges but I didn't.

This morning I eventually got all my symptoms but let it run distorted for close to 40 minutes(longest i have ever let it run bad before a restart) and when I checked the picture again, the flickering for the first time stopped on it's own and has not return. Right now I have had the set running for about three hours with no flickering, just dull, saturated color(skin tones too reddish/pink etc.) with a picture that is very slightly fuzzy and unsharp. With my symptoms considering I did hear the banshee squeals a couple times on quick repower ups, does it sound like this is more than likely the color wheel taking it's sweet time to fully fail, the ballast, or something else more serious? One more thing, when I see the flickering, each rapid flicker is accompanied by a slight ticking sound. That's why I checked the wheel because I thought maybe the wheel was sticking. I replaced the lamp about a year and a half ago and I see no blinking light codes on the tv, and the sequence of startup sounds(click, bleeps, two different buzz sounds) seems to be as it should. Sorry for long post , but I wanted to get all I know in there, thanks.

*NOTE* - I left the rear cover loose so if it started acting up again i could try and listen/look at where the tick sound was coming from. It finally started flickering again after about four-and-a-half hours but it only lasted for maybe 7 minutes before stopping. When I looked inside the tv, I could see the lamp give a slight flicker with each tick and flicker on screen.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'm not privy to that model of TV, but Color Wheels are usually pretty simple replacements in Projectors and usually when they go out on me they usually do color flickering. Still they are very simple to swap out in most cases. A color wheel basically looks like a colored fan almost.

I'm sure the moderator of this particular forum will have a good source for picking up a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So does mine definitely sound like a color wheel problem? I am trying to rule out the dreaded DMd board and from what I have observed, it doesn't SEEM like it is. It is just confusing because I basically have only briefly heard the banshee sound like most describe a couple times, I see and error lights or see the wheel itself chipped up. The ballast clearly fires up and I don't know if a bad ballast would cause my problems anyway. As long as I can rule out DMD board, I'm cool with just about anything else so someone please help me diagnose so I can relax and get on with the repair. I do find it curious that when my bulb was going bad I seem to remember hearing the same loud pitched squeal that I heard with this situation - do bad bulbs cause that sound also?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The symptoms of the blotches and the color saturation are not symptoms of a color wheel problem. White streaks or colors being off in other ways would be. If you saw the lamp flicker, I would be looking for a power supply problem.

At this point I would not make any assumptions. More troubleshooting and analysis in needed to determine the most likely cause of your problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The blotches are completely gone. The colors aren't deeply saturated, but they are off and dull - things aren't especially sharp and the picture is not vibrant. I do get many thin white horizontal streaks across the screen after it has flickered for a while and really starts to act up with the grayed/b&w look to the images. So with no dark areas, white dots, weird patterns, freezing, light codes, or set shutting down automatically, can I fairly safely rule out the digital board? What are the symptoms of a bad power supply?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Is the lamp flickering or not?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really think it's flickering. What I meant was that I took the lamp cover off and looked inside when it was acting up. As the screen would do it's flickering, each flicker coincided with just the slightest flickering inside the set. It was not like the bulb was completely cutting on an off or even flickering strong.

I am leaning towards color wheel, but is it typical for the bulb to cause white flickers and the effects I described? The last time the bulb went bad, my set was cutting off on it's own but I didn't have much denigration in the picture at all. I swear I can power off the set over night and in the morning on power up it might not start acting up for hours, but of course the picture quality is still not vibrant or sharp on startup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts