Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've purchased recently the anker soundcore Infini pro sound bar 2.1 channel and I heard that it produces best sound output through HDMI arc and digital ports. But my TV only has AUX and RCA sound outputs. Please let me know if there are connectors available for purchase to connect analog from TV to digital audio in soundbar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. My Samsung TV supports Dolby digital Plus and even my soundbar. Is there any way to connect TV and soundbar to produce the same Dolby output.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Let's not make this harder than it is. #1... you cannot get Dolby Digital Plus unless the TV and the Soundbar support Dolby Digital Plus. One of the HDMI ports on the TV will have "ARC" or "eARC" near the HDMI port on the TV so that you know which port to use when you want to use the "ARC" or "eARC" feature. You MUST connect that HDMI port on the TV to the soundbar HDMI port. This will NOT be a standalone "ARC" or "eARC" port on the soundbar... many soundbars have just 1 HDMI port (cheap soundbars have NO HDMI port at all so they cannot support "ARC" or "eARC". So connect the ARC port on the TV to the input HDMI port on the Soundbar. NEXT... in almost all cases, HDMI CEC must be enabled on both the soundbar and the TV (and if you have an AVR, CEC has to be enabled for the AVR also). If the Soundbar has an HDMI port, when you send sound to the soundbar, ARC or eARC MAY have to be turned on in the soundbar, often via a remote control button or through the soundbar setup controls so ARC comes on automatically when you have internal speakers disabled in the TV. ARC was the original feature. It will ONLY send Dolby Digital to the soundbar, nothing better. If the soundtrack is 7.1 DTS-HD MA, the ARC feature will convert that audio to lossy Dolby Digital and send that to the soundbar. eARC "opens" the audio format and allows the HDMI port on the TV to send ANY digital audio format to the soundbar. HOWEVER, a stereo soundbar will have just 2 audio channels so 5.1 or 7.1 or 9.1 or 11.1 soundtracks all have to be down-converted to Stereo, then sent as TrueHD stereo or DTS HD-MA stereo if the original sound was lossless. Some streaming services offer better sound than Dolby Digital. Usually that sound "upgrade" is Dolby Digital Plus. So if you watch a Netflix show that has a Dolby Digital Plus sound track, DD+ will be sent to the stereo sound bar--and played back as just stereo (though some soundbars may re-process the stereo into simulated surround that's not very good to listen to in my experience. I think those are all the issues. If you use the Opfical Digital or Coax Digital connection on the soundbar, the soundbar will always receive stereo Dolby Digital. I think those are all the issues, but I may have forgotten some detail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My $.02.... Honestly any television without an HDMI port has got to be 15 years old, or thereabouts? Perhaps in a quest for better sound, it is time to also obtain better picture and compatibility with todays AV Receivers and AV accessories?

There are analog to digital converters available, but they are a huge compromise in sound quality in my experience. Monoprice.com has some that are affordable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts