Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I am new to the the whole audio world- I need some help and advice in connecting these-

ONKYO CD PLAYER C-7030
Harmon kardon HK 3490 (2 channel stereo Receiver )
Emotiva Preamp- USP-1
Velodyne Impact 10
JBL L 890 towers

Harmon kardon does not have any bass management, that is the reason why I am planning to add the emotiva preamp. It has a high pass and low pass filter. I have attached a pic of the rear panel of all.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have one question - Is the EMOTIVA USP-1 preamp compatible with the HARMON KARDON hk 3490 receiver?

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
It looks like it is... Just hook up your preout on the Emotiva to the main in on your HK. You would also hookup your sub directly to the Emotiva sub output. You are going to be using the receiver as a power amp only... Correct? None of the inputs on the receiver should be hooked... all inputs should be on the Emotiva.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes , I will be using the HK3490 as a poweramp. The whole reason why I am getting a preamp with bass banagement - emotiva USP-1 is to control the bass better. I hope it will help and I will hook the subwoofer to the USP-1 directly, Mainly for music only. Looking forward to upgrade my subwoofer to a RYTHMIK-12 by christmas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like it is... Just hook up your preout on the Emotiva to the main in on your HK. You would also hookup your sub directly to the Emotiva sub output. You are going to be using the receiver as a power amp only... Correct? None of the inputs on the receiver should be hooked... all inputs should be on the Emotiva.

Where should i hook up the preout from the EMOTIVA ? The mains ? which means do you mean? Yes I will hook my CD player to the EMOTIVA

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Where should i hook up the preout from the EMOTIVA ? The mains ? which means do you mean? Yes I will hook my CD player to the EMOTIVA
Emotiva pre out (l+r) go to the mains in on the HK (l+r)

Does that make sense now? The pic shows the mains as full range... If you don't want them to be full range then you can use the ones next to it and choose your crossover point. I use mine in full range.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but I dont want my speakers running on full range , thats the whole purpose of me buying the EMOTIVA. Shouldnt I run the High pass from the emotiva to the harmon kardon ?

I am sorry if I am asking a dumb question.

Thank you for your advice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much guys. I am getting ready to buy the USP-1. One final advice , will this make a huge difference in my 2.1 music quality ? This is a huge investment for me. I hope I am making the right decision.

·
Super Moderator
9,283 Posts

One final advice , will this make a huge difference in my 2.1 music quality ?
Not likely a huge difference, but that depends on how good your ears are, and your speakers, and whether or not the HK you were using previously is decidedly sub-standard. However, the bass management aspect itself should make an audible improvement.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts