Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed in the REW Cabling and Connection Basics sticky it states " It's a good idea to use a Y-splitter at the receiver to feed both the left and right channels, so both mains speakers may be checked along with the subwoofer" What is wrong with just connecting both the left and right line out from the sound card to the left and right in on the receiver since the test tones are outputed on both L/R channels. I have been running this way for a while and it seems to work but now I am wondering if there is some error being inroduced with this method.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Re: Connection Qestion

What is wrong with just connecting both the left and right line out from the sound card to the left and right in on the receiver since the test tones are outputed on both L/R channels.
Nothing wrong with it, other than you require an extra cable. It seems prudent to limit the possibility of a bad connection on one of the two cables, by promoting the use of a single cable with a splitter at the receiver.
Additionally, if you wanted to play with the "Left Channel as Calibrate Reference", you would have to disconnect your extra cable and use the splitter anyway.

brucek

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Re: Connection Qestion

If your receiver has 5.1 analog inputs, you can use them as well. That is what I am doing on my Denon - connecting the sound card output to one channel at a time, or two at a time with a Y adapter if I want to drive the sub and one other channel at the same time (main L/R or center, for example). Using the 5.1 inputs also allows you to measure your surrounds.

If you do use the 5.1 inputs, make sure that your receiver's DSP is turned on for the external input. My Denon has an option for the analog ins to be either straight thru or processed. Processed assures that the receiver's speaker settings (bass management, crossover, distance, etc.) are applied to the signal from the sound card.

And, of course, turn the volume down before connecting anything...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts