Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've finally decided to get started with my dream home theater. I have finalized on the kind of setup that i want, currently I am trying to understand what equipment goes where and what kinda connectivity is required.
I have to admit that I am not totally new to this subject, but I have very little knowledge.

Basically this is a 11.2 Dolby Atmos setup.

Front Right and Left Floor Standing, Center, Left & Right Surrounds, Left & Right Rear, 4 ceiling speakers for the Atmos, 2 Sub-Woofers

I am planning for a Preamp and Amp for the output.

I have decided to get SVS PB13Ultra for subwoofers
What I want to know here is about the connectivity and installation of SVS PB13ultra. I have checked in google and youtube but all I found was the unboxing of the Sub.

Can someone tell me the exact wiring and connectivity for SVSPB13Ultra, So I can continue my planning accordingly.
Do we need a different preamp and amp for PB13ultra ??

Cheers & Thanks :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s just like any other powered subwoofer: You run a cable between the pre amp’s sub output to an input on the PB13. In addition, the manual (available on line) covers many different connection scenarios.

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks Wayne,
So I dont need a separate amp for PB13 ??
I mean my plan is just Pre amp and power amps, So I just run a cable between preamp to power amp and to the subwoofer...rite ?? nothing in-between ?? and I can get the maximum out of the subwoofer ??

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
No, the SVS has its own amp, a 1000 watt plate amp on the back. All you have to do is plug the sub cable into it. Easy, peasy!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the SVS has its own amp, a 1000 watt plate amp on the back. All you have to do is plug the sub cable into it. Easy, peasy!
Cool, thx Tonto ....
I am starting a WIP thread soon for my Home Theater :)
will post everything else in there :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
This may seem obvious but, speaking from experience, it is easier than you think to not remember until the last minute that you will have two sets of cables going to your subwoofer: a signal cable(s) AND a power cable.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This may seem obvious but, speaking from experience, it is easier than you think to not remember until the last minute that you will have two sets of cables going to your subwoofer: a signal cable(s) AND a power cable.
Yeah, I know about it :D
but what do I do if the woofer placement is far away from the switchboard ?
I dont want couple of spike buster or extension boards running along the room corners

·
Registered
13 Posts
If aesthetics is very important to you, I would recommend looking into a wireless solution for your sub. That is what I had to do for my second system.

My wife insisted that no cable shall be visible anywhere in the room. Even the TV can be hidden behind a cabinet. I used the Outlaw OAW3 transmitter and I am satisfied with it - works flawlessly even from behind the wall.

For my primary system, I had the luxury of a new construction room, so everything is hardwired. Cables are also invisible there but that involved building false walls, etc., which sounds like more than what you have in mind.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Simple - install electrical outlets and signal outlets (a wall plate with a female RCA jack mounted on it) at the locations where you intend to locate the subwoofers.

Regards,
Wayne
Yes, I was planning on that Wayne :) thanx :)

If aesthetics is very important to you, I would recommend looking into a wireless solution for your sub. That is what I had to do for my second system.

My wife insisted that no cable shall be visible anywhere in the room. Even the TV can be hidden behind a cabinet. I used the Outlaw OAW3 transmitter and I am satisfied with it - works flawlessly even from behind the wall.

For my primary system, I had the luxury of a new construction room, so everything is hardwired. Cables are also invisible there but that involved building false walls, etc., which sounds like more than what you have in mind.
That one looks very neat congrats.
This will be dedicated room garcianc2003 ..... I can play around with false walls and all that stuff if required. :)
thanx :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
< snip >
This will be dedicated room garcianc2003 ..... I can play around with false walls and all that stuff if required. :) thanx :)
If you shuffle around the internet, you'll find a lot of opinions and a little fact about the two connection methods. Hardwired supposedly sounds better. But wireless can shine under certain circumstances. Like with battery-powered speakers. Or with certain headphones. From my own internet travels, I'm under the impression that wireless will take a while to totally infiltrate HT systems. Personally, I belong in the Camp of Distrust, and will stay blissfully stuck in HardWiredVille. YMMV, especially if you just listen/watch in the background. :eek:lddude:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you shuffle around the internet, you'll find a lot of opinions and a little fact about the two connection methods. Hardwired supposedly sounds better. But wireless can shine under certain circumstances. Like with battery-powered speakers. Or with certain headphones. From my own internet travels, I'm under the impression that wireless will take a while to totally infiltrate HT systems. Personally, I belong in the Camp of Distrust, and will stay blissfully stuck in HardWiredVille. YMMV, especially if you just listen/watch in the background. :eek:lddude:
I myself am totally against Wireless speakers when it comes to hi-end systems.
So, I strictly stick with wired :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can someone (Owner of PB13 Ultra) post a pic of back of the subwoofer when its wired. It will give me complete understanding about it
Please :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So how do you like the PB-13 Ultra?
hey Tonto, I didnt buy it yet. I will place the order soon, just want to know everything about it before place the order :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can I temporarily connect PB13 Ultra to this receiver ? if Yes, then how ? this will be a temporary arrangement maybe for a month, I am planning for a Onkyo TX-NR1030 or Marantz SR7009 which i will buy in next month.
Please check this receiver....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts