Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets all!

I'm an old skool Home Theater lover, and used to be a HT installer back in the early 90's. Man a lot has changed! Even my few years old gear seems ancient...but that's a good thing!

Anywho, I'm considering an Infinite Baffle for the house my fiance and I just bought (our first). We are cobbling together a slightly upgraded home theater on a super tight budget. We are using our living room area, and I have very limited locations as to where I can place the IB. In fact, without some serious construction, I have basically one logical choice.....behind the seating position.

Now from what I've read, behind the seating position is probably one of the worst places to put an IB. Phase and Time Alignment I guess. So I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort (and cost!) to try.

Here are some illustrations to show what I have to work with:

Here is a quick (MS Paint) sketch of my main floor :

The seat with the X is my theater seat. The screen and mains are obviously directly in front. The dining room is off to the top right, and I drew the kitchen in simply because there is an 18 sq foot opening in the corner wall between the kitchen and living room!

Now, the area behind the main seats are stairs down to the front door. And there is this odd little space between the stairs and the back wall that's about 36" long and 14" wide...maybe a little larger even. This space goes to storage area under the stairs! This would be *perfect* for an IB setup, and I could control the airspace by opening and closing the full sized door to the storage area under the stairs.

Here is a photo of the area from when we were house shopping earlier this year:

We have painted over that bogus peach color since we moved in. But you can see the odd little space just to the right of the stairs, that would load up the back wall perfectly with a nice IB setup! My seating position would be just on the other side of the stair rail on the left.

The under stairs area looks like this:

The subs in a manifold (if I go 15"+) or line array (if I used 12") would go to a little cubby area to the left in this storage area. I've not figured out air space under here, but floor area is about 36 square feet.

The sub that this IB would be replacing or augmenting is a folded horn I built from the free Wicked One plans on the Decware web page...it looks like this:

The Wicked One has a similar feel and sound to an IB as it reaches surprisingly low and has low distortion. The Wicked One is currently powered by an EP2500. I figured If I built an IB, I would use an EP1500 unless I could get another really great deal on an EP2500.

So, lots of info...but I figured that's what's needed to get some thoughts on this.

So am I wasting my time or adding too much hassle by building an IB with the setup I have? :coocoo:

·
Registered
393 Posts
IANAE. Fair warning

I have a couple of questions for you, first of all, are you unhappy with what you have, or just have the itch?
Where are you crossed over at? If you're crossed over at the "normal" 80Hz, I suspect you may be able to localize the IB behind you more than if the xover is lower, but that's something you'd have to experiment with.

I know how you feel. I really wanted to build an IB, but I just couldn't make it work in the space I have. I think I read or looked at every thread on the Cult forum. I even bought drivers, but just couldn't make it fit like I knew it should. I wasn't willing to compromise that much. I'll eventually take the drivers (4x15" Tempest) and put them in sealed boxes scattered about the room.

I guess I'm stuck with box subs until I build a new house in 10-15 years. But hey, I get compliments all the time on my cheap 10" sub's performance. I have to wonder what people will say when I get 4xTempests running. :bigsmile:

Just some perspective from someone who's been in approximately the same place you are now. Didn't get the T-shirt, didn't drink the Kool-aid. (Yet.) Not trying to talk you out of it, just saying to step back from the coolness factor of a huge, hugely capable invisible subwoofer, and consider the cold reality of your situation. And it might work flawlessly in your situation, I just chickened out in mine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
MIKE, Yes, That's exactly the spot.

IANAE. Fair warning
I stared at that for about 30 seconds before my internet acronym filter kicked in. I appreciate your candor.

Thanks for the info.

I'm sorta unhappy with the folded horn...it's just not powerful enough, nor deep enough. I'd really like a sub that can push some air and get that deep down *feel*.

What I have isn't bad (especially with music), and with some work can blend well with the mains...but I use this for HT primarily and I want a nice (read obnoxious) house curve with lots of bass to add to the impact of the video.

Eventually I'm going with a 2.40:1 screen setup...so the sound better match the impact of the video!

·
Registered
393 Posts
IANAE. Fair warning
I stared at that for about 30 seconds before my internet acronym filter kicked in. I appreciate your candor.
LOL My acronym decrypter hiccoughs from time to time, too.

I don't feel qualified to give you any other advice, just to tell you about my mildly similar situation, and how I came out with it.

Where have you got your current sub located, and do you have/can you take some current pics?

Is there room for another box sub? Keep in mind that IB drivers should work well in a sealed box. Can be a good way to test if it will work for you, and if it doesn't, you can just keep the box sub.

After starting out wanting the IB, I finally decided that I'm going to build 4 sealed boxes for those drivers, and distribute them about the room, experimenting with their location to get the best sound possible. I decided on sealed, because the box will be (relatively) small and light, so easy to move and tuck into corners, etc.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL My acronym decrypter hiccoughs from time to time, too.

I don't feel qualified to give you any other advice, just to tell you about my mildly similar situation, and how I came out with it.

Where have you got your current sub located, and do you have/can you take some current pics?

Is there room for another box sub? Keep in mind that IB drivers should work well in a sealed box. Can be a good way to test if it will work for you, and if it doesn't, you can just keep the box sub.

After starting out wanting the IB, I finally decided that I'm going to build 4 sealed boxes for those drivers, and distribute them about the room, experimenting with their location to get the best sound possible. I decided on sealed, because the box will be (relatively) small and light, so easy to move and tuck into corners, etc.
The Black Box on the left wall is where I have my 36" X 36" X14" folded horn pictured above. Though it's not black yet...it's sort of a drink stained, cat puke marred, chipped cornered MDF till I can teach myself how to laminate it a nice piano black...or even a counter top satin black.

I've also read that behind the seating position isn't the best location. The room is also quite large. Since this is "on a super tight budget", what are you considering using for subs?
Mike, honestly, I've not gotten that far yet. I figure I'll beat the idea to death in my head and get ideas from you guys to see if it's feasible first, then work out a budget. If worse comes to worst, I'll sell off some of my guitar gear to fund a better sub setup. I'm pretty frugal and somewhat clever, and have even gone as far as building a sub driver from scratch before (no joke...I put a 15" motor on a 10" basket years before long extension woofers were mainstream - like I said, old skool).

If all fails, then whatever money I would have diverted towards an IB can just be dumped into getting my future HD projector and screen.

This weekend I'm building some sound diffusers and absorbers, and hopefully figuring out REW. :devil:

So I've got lots I can do if this falls apart. In the mean time, I'll appeal to the IB experienced for some suggestions.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the IB doesn't work out for whatever reason, you still got a pair of JL's that could be put to better use in different enclosures. What model number are they?
Better use than a folded horn? :scratchhead:

JL Audio 10W7 Dual Voice Coil

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
For a HTapplication a ported enclosure would offer better low end output. Of course it'll depend on the subs parameters. I'm just curious to model it and see how it does. From the pic you posted I thought they were 12 inch subs. Is that Wicked One sub built to the original plans or is it a lengthened version?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'll offer another thought, get REW running, and see if you can reposition your LOL "cat puke marred" horn for better response. Moving it won't make it play any lower, but the frequency response at the LP could potentially improve. If you can, move it over to your proposed IB spot, and use it to test with. That would give you a decent idea of the IB's potential performance, as well as tell you if you could localize it.

Do the cat(s) ever go inside it? I have a cat that will go inside anything that it can fit in.

What other gear do you have? Where are you crossed over at?

And have you considered flipping the equipment/seating 180 deg? If you put the TV by the stairway, your proposed IB wouldn't be behind you anymore. Of course, that decision may not be up to you. Tread lightly when suggesting rearrangements of the living room to SWMBO.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
******, I posted this long response and the Shack came up with an error saying I couldn't post links or E-mails yet, and all my typing was lost! Bah. I'll retype it later. I need to leave for work in 10 minutes and I was up till 2AM painting and cleaning for a movie night tonight...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts