Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story, saved another RPTV CRT from the landfill ($50 craigslist) It's a Philips 60PP9352. Owner said every thing was as good as new, except for the bad convergence chip & resistor.
So, last night just got a new pair of STK's and a burnt resistor in, did the multipoint manual convergence, and it now has perfect convergence.
But, the color is dreadful. Does'nt matter what input I use, component or composite. The focus is good, I cant really say it's hazey or blury. I double checked the CRT wires to make sure I plugged every thing back in the right spot, and made sure all 3 gun's are working. That all looks good.

Next thing I'm gonna do is remove the back and look in the lens with a flash light. But I wanted to check with you guy's before I start ripping it all down to see if there is any thing else I should look for first.

So can contaminated coolant cause the color to go bad?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes, contaminated coolant will severely mess with the color. I have never seen one of these sets come in for service that did not have contaminated coolant, unless it had been changed before.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Here's a pic for you. This is what I drained out of the blue.
When I look into the lens, it looks like there is a small crack in the CRT. I have'nt taken the front half of the gun apart yet, that will come later when i have more time and get my hands on some new coolant.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh and also, do you think two 16oz bottles will be enough? Should I even bother with messing with the red? Maybe just a empty and refill with out disassembly? I know you've said it's allways the blue the green to go bad.

Edit: I went ahead and orderd 3 16oz bottles. I plan on changing the coolant in all 3, just not sure if I'll completely take apart red, or green. I'll see how bad blue is and go from there. I dont want to chance a coolent leak if I dont have to.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Leave the red alone completely so that it remains your reference for position and convergence. I have never seen a red tube show the problem. 2 x 16 oz will be plenty.

If you have a cracked CRT, don't even bother to proceed until you replace it. An arcing CRT can take out other stuff, if it hasn't already. Cracks are not unheard of in these.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got the top half off, turns out it's not the CRT that's cracked. It's not the lens that holds in the coolant either, it's the lens under the top lens. It's not really a crack either, looks more like a sharp but small scratch.

EDIT: I also noticed there was no etching or perminent damage from the old coolent, it wiped clean with no trouble. I must of caught it soon enough. IIRC the set was manuafactured in 2003.

Leave the red alone completely so that it remains your reference for position and convergence.
Will I need to do some kind of mechanical convergence? Like loosen the gun mounting screw's and slide it around to get best convergence before I do the electronic convergence?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Jeff,

We're looking at doing this on a project my son and I are working on . . . I was just wondering how it turned out for you? Any problems?

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jeff,

We're looking at doing this on a project my son and I are working on . . . I was just wondering how it turned out for you? Any problems?

Thanks!

Steve
Every thing went smooth. Once I changed the coolant the color got much better.
I must say, out of all the TV I've fixed, this Philips was the cheapest built.
The mirror was'nt even glass, it was just a big sheet of tin foil.
No matter how much I messed around with the focus and convergence, I could never really get a great picture out of it, just OK. I sold it for $300 bucks on craigslist.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the update - it's always nice to hear "the rest of the story"!

I've been sick with diverticulitis and a cold that's turned into pnuemonia on top of it, so I haven't paid much attention to detail on this unit yet. I rode along for the pick up and I disassembled, cleaned, and pulled the board, and reassembled it (twice due to that SSB cable that came undone!) but I haven't really given it a once over. Just been more in the "let's get this task done" mode.

One thing I did notice though . . . we had started on an older Toshiba 48" earlier and it was MUCH heavier than this unit is, and this one is larger and a widescreen. I also noticed the convergence chip heat sink on the Toshiba seemed beefier than the one on the Magnavox.

I guess neither means much, but I have found in the past that the heft of the object does a lot of times weigh into how well the unit is constructed.

Oh well, we don't have much in it so if we can get even an OK picture out of it it'll get my son by until he gets done with school and can get a job and afford a nice new big screen.

Thanks again for the follow up, take care,

Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the update - it's always nice to hear "the rest of the story"!

I've been sick with diverticulitis and a cold that's turned into pnuemonia on top of it, so I haven't paid much attention to detail on this unit yet. I rode along for the pick up and I disassembled, cleaned, and pulled the board, and reassembled it (twice due to that SSB cable that came undone!) but I haven't really given it a once over. Just been more in the "let's get this task done" mode.

One thing I did notice though . . . we had started on an older Toshiba 48" earlier and it was MUCH heavier than this unit is, and this one is larger and a widescreen. I also noticed the convergence chip heat sink on the Toshiba seemed beefier than the one on the Magnavox.

I guess neither means much, but I have found in the past that the heft of the object does a lot of times weigh into how well the unit is constructed.

Oh well, we don't have much in it so if we can get even an OK picture out of it it'll get my son by until he gets done with school and can get a job and afford a nice new big screen.

Thanks again for the follow up, take care,

Steve
So you got this TV because of convergence chips or bad coolant?

Either way, I suggest you fix it up, sell it and pick your self up a Sony RPTV. I can just about guarantee you can find a Sony on craigslist local to you for next to nothen with bad convergence chips. Plus you wont have to worry about bad coolent.

Edit: Also, I would'nt bother with one that is'nt at least 1080i and 16x9.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I covered this in another post, but I'll be brief here. My son is a poor college student and he's been getting along just fine on a 27" CRT unit. He lives in the country outside of a small town here in Nebraska and the local tavern gave him a 48" Toshiba with a convergence problem. We tried to fix it but had no luck and the thing was just covered in grease/dust/cigarette smoke residue so I just wasn't up to playing with it so we called it quits on that one. My son was kind of disappointed though so I kept an eye on Craigs List and came up with this Magnavox unit. The original owner said it was "3D" looking so I figured it was the convergence chips - and it was. It looked 3D and you couldn't adjust the cross hairs. We got the convergence fixed, but now I am noticing it has the coolant issue too. I guess that's par for the course as Leonard commented in another Magnavox thread that he's never had one in the shop that didn't have the CRT coolant issue. It's not bad, but it's only going to get worse so I figure we might as well fix it now rather than later - now he's not used to having and watching it so the down time is no big deal, but later I just know he'll be wanting to rush through the repair to get it back into service.

This unit is a 16:9 widescreen and it is 1080i capable. It doesn't have hdmi/dvi inputs, but it does have the R/G/B inputs for the high def and his satellite receiver has thoose outputs so it should work fine.

We'll keep an eye out for a Sony - thanks for the tip . . . I've got a corner in the family room that's looking kinda empty with that 32" CRT in it. 8->

Take Care,

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts