Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I am currently finishing up drywall on a dedicated HT. Completed room size is 11.5x17.5. I currently have a 120" fixed Vapex screen which I love but it's slightly too big to fit on the screen wall in my HT. I also have a 106" retractable high powered Da-lite screen which has served me well over the years and is in pretty good shape. Rather than spend more money now (already gone over budget on the HT) and to keep the wife happy, I'm considering putting the retractable in there for the time being until I can get a really nice fixed screen in its place. The thing is I've no idea how to make this into a fixed screen. Out of the case it has a nice 2" black border with extra length of black material at the top when fully extended. Is it possible to mount this in such a way that the screen can be pulled tight but still leave enough black border for aesthetic reasons?

Cheers.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I'm sure it could be done. Don't recall ever hearing of it being done though - saving the black border. Most folks who do this though don't usually bother with the border that's installed. Or they buy a retractable without the border and then they make their own border with black velvet.

If you do this I'd love to see pictures along the way. :T

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have never done this either. My first thought would be to build a frame and staple the screen to the front of it, making sure the frame can't be seen through the screen (no overlap). If the staples are bothersome or you can see them, you could put another layer of felt over the front, perhaps using a glue.
Or
You could build a thin frame and mount it to the front of the screen, then paint it black or wrap it in velvet. I have seen screens framed behind wood like this before and it worked well. Can't wait to hear what you do.

matteo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts