Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using REW to create T/S parameters it generates two inductance models. The first model is the FDD Electrical Model. To the best of my limited knowledge there is no enthusiast level enclosure modeling software that can use this model. The second model is called the Simplified Model. I believe it consists of the Wright electrical impedance model plus the conventional motional impedance model (without the frequency-dependent damping). Unfortunately this "simplified" model is still much too complicated to enter into any enthusiast level enclosure modeling software that I'm aware of.

The most capable enthusiast level enclosure modeling software with regards to inductance that I know of is Unibox. It allows for Le2 and Re2, which I understand to be the Leach electrical inductance model. Of course this is much more crude than either of the options supported by REW, but it's much better than ignoring inductance completely or using a single 1kHz Le value.

My question is, is there some way to convert / simplify either of the two inductance models generated by REW into the Leach electrical inductance model that can be entered in Unibox? Or, would it be possible for the more basic Leach electrical inductance model to be added to REW as a dumbed-down inductance modeling option for enthusiasts?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Sounds like Unibox supports a model commonly called LR2, which has a single parallel inductor/resistor in series with Le and Re. REW' simplified model is commonly called LR4 (or sometimes LR3). There isn't an easy way to convert between the two models, but I could add an option to select the simplified model type as LR2, LR4 or Leach, or just generate figures for all 3 types. I'll add it to the feature request list.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like Unibox supports a model commonly called LR2, which has a single parallel inductor/resistor in series with Le and Re.
Yes, that's correct.

REW' simplified model is commonly called LR4 (or sometimes LR3). There isn't an easy way to convert between the two models, but I could add an option to select the simplified model type as LR2, LR4 or Leach, or just generate figures for all 3 types. I'll add it to the feature request list.
That would be very helpful. Thanks!

Are there software packages that use the FDD or LR4 models?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The LR4 model uses standard components that any circuit simulation package would handle, but I'm not familiar with the requirements of any enclosure or crossover design software, sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts