Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
You should start a new thread for your room and post your pictures there...you will probably get some good feedback from regulars like bpape with suggestions on treatments.
Thanks Chas..I just did...hope to get some feedback!

My big concern is my sub placement...I am VERY limited where I could put them..I am planning on getting two more HSU's for the rear corners.

I was told to move my subs where my fronts are now but I tried that a few weeks ago...I watched Rambo and at the scene where the captures are being let off of a few trucks to run through a field full of mines...I noticed you could hear the people but they sounded way far to the left of the screen, like they weren't in the scene but you could hear them! I am not sure this was happening due to my not re-running MCACC on my Pioneer but that I don't think was the culprit...just that the fronts were to far apart...but I am a newbie. If MCACC would be able to correct that I would move my subs in more where the fronts are now...

Update...wife doesn't want the speaker blocking the window so it's of to acoustic treatment alley!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Okay, while the wife was asleep..(lol)...I moved the fronts as suggested and re-ran MCACC...here's what happend:

It still seems like the speakers are too far from the viewing screen...the scene I used as reference still sounded like the people talking and screaming weren't in the movie...while the scene was then playing I moved the speakers closer to the TV and found a sweet spot where it sounded "normal" to me..right where they were before!

Also, the subs, being in closer to the TV didn't sound better or worse! Maybe since how small th room is having two just fills in the room nicely!

But then again, I am fresh to all this HT stuffola!

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's a real nice design. Simple and effective. I might have to emulate this in my HT.

I really have to do something with the screen wall, there is a large painted out window in the middle behind the screen, but the corners should be able to accommodate bass traps like yours easily.

Good work!

Michael.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I just realized my original picture was a bit dated as I bought a new TV about a year and a half ago, so I updated the photo from the big old caveman 36" tube to the newer 50" plasma.
Old:

New:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Chas,

Those are nice. I built some that look a lot like yours. But my real question is how much does that potted plant dance around on that big sub when you have the volume cranked up? Also, did you build the traps behind your mains? Did you notice much of a difference with the panels behind your mains?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Chas,

Those are nice. I built some that look a lot like yours. But my real question is how much does that potted plant dance around on that big sub when you have the volume cranked up? Also, did you build the traps behind your mains? Did you notice much of a difference with the panels behind your mains?
Ha...don't make fun of my wife's plant! Yes the sub will rattle the pictures on the wall but the sub is solid as a rock and does not vibrate at all so her plant is safe.

The main difference I notice with the panels is a greater sense of clarity and separation...which I attribute to less reflections off the front wall.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Those traps look really nice. I only hope I can mange to pull that off 1/2 a well myself.
I saw your dedicated room thread...wish I had a dedicated room with projector! Keep us posted with pictures as things progress....it's looking great.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
People often comment about WAF issues with traps. I look at this picture and wonder what they are talking about! Really, they just look like curtains (almost) over corner windows. Nice job.
Thanks. My wife was a little concerned when I started the project but she was quite happy with the results.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What is the 703 is it all just wood I was thinking of building some thing kind of like this but stuffing them with the cotton blue jean stuff they are using in houses its a spray in like stuff.give me your input

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
What is the 703 is it all just wood I was thinking of building some thing kind of like this but stuffing them with the cotton blue jean stuff they are using in houses its a spray in like stuff.give me your input
703 are rigid sheets of fiberglass, that in this case have been sliced up into wedges to stack in the corners. I'm sorry but I don't know how the cotton would compare...you would probably be better off starting a new thread asking this question so it doesn't get lost here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been reading more and I'm going to go the same route you did do you think the 705 would be better I read were you said you had the 703 thats why you went that way I also saw were some people don't go all the way from top to bottom are you happy with the way your setup is working?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts