Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm planning to use REW + equAPO to improve my Hi-Fi 2.0 system.
I've read some tutorials, but not found a concrete response to my main interrogation:
Does REW can correct room but keep original speaker response?
I don't want a "flat" response, but the one that my speakers would have in a perfect room.

I read a review lately about a new system (dirac maybe?) that uses 2 measures: one on the listening position and the other just in front of the speaker, so that only the room reflections are corrected.
Is the same thing possible with REW?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
REW will measure your speakers responce in your room. You can alter this responce by adding treatments. Beyond that you will need some type of device to eq your speakers. All the while, keep measureing with REW to see where you are/or need to change something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, but I just want to correct the room effect, not the natural response of the speaker.
So with only one measure at listening position, I can't figure how REW will know what is the natural response of the speaker and what is due to the room!

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Maybe it will help to think of it this way:

The sound quality in the LP area is largely related to the SPL in that area. The SPL at the LP is the result of the room acoustics and the speaker SPL response.

The room acoustics is the result of many factors as you probably know. There are numerous changes that can be made to a given room to improve the sound quality in several ways. [SPL is not the only contributor to sound quality, but it is the major one.]

To improve sound quality at the LP for a given speaker/room we can change the room acoustics, i.e., speaker / LP positions as well as various room treatments. This is the preferred method as it can provide more than just SPL improvement. If we still want more improvement most all of use find significant further improvement by changing the EQ to smooth the SPL at the LP. This does change the response of the speakers. It also changes the SPL response in other parts of the room not only at the LP. So the sound quality can often be improved with EQ in the LP area, but other areas of the room will be negatively impacted. If we are listening in the LP area we aren't too concerned with that.

If you don't want the output response of the speakers to be changed, then you can't EQ.

REW can show the situation, but as noted above what, in order to do something about it involves changes of some sort.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think the OP means that they want a target curve that is consistent with the natural response of the speaker itself. This is what some auto EQ systems do, Room Perfect is one of them.

To do this in REW you would need to measure the speaker itself to establish that target curve and then measure at the listening position(s) to determine what needs to be done, to frequency response and to phase, in order to hit that natural response. Exactly how you do this depends on what you intend to use to implement the DSP required, REW is just a measurement tool after all.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Basically from 0-250hz is the room and from 250-20,000 is the speakers talking.

You can take a near field response about 1 meter from the speaker then window the response to remove the room. Place the speaker either outside or in the middle of the room. Mic placement acoustic centre of the speaker.

Is there any info of the speakers response (graphs) posted anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts