Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I posted this over in the EQ forum, but thought this might also be a good place for this.

I'm pretty new to this topic and would like to learn more. I can't seem to find a certain answer to the best approach for EQing a single subwoofer. Currently I'm in the market for an EQ and was strongly considering a Rane PE17 or Symetrix 551e since they have the ability to apply filters down to 10Hz. Both of these units have five filters that could be used for the sub frequencies.

Obviously this would depend on the room, but generally speaking, is five filters too few for correcting the in-room response?

I was under the impression that using the fewest filters needed for a flat response was a good approach. But then I read more and see that some (including the author of REW) suggest that many precisely placed filters is the best approach. I also read this in the references section of the Rane website.

Now I worry that the EQ's that I am considering will not have enough filters to address all of the nuances of the room resonances.

Please help.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Are you using a AVR also?

Dont forget that if you are using an AVR and it has a automated EQ process like Audyssey than that will apply filters also. So You dont necessarily need 20 filters but together you may already have enough when adding the Rane EQ. You will find out when you test with REW to see what all is going on in your room with your subs.

Hope this helps. I have never used the Rane EQ but EQ at 10-20hz is a nice feature. The Behringer DCX can do this also with a few tricks and the Minidsp can do this also with no tricks. :D

But tells us your experience please if you get the Rane.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts