Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i ended up buying Some speakers and a receiver off this lady, I think she was tryijg to rip me off because she didn't want me to test out the speakers, she had them packed up ready to go by the door.
I insisted to test them or i wouldn't buy them. I felt her hesitation and i knew something was wrong.

Long story short, i left her house with a pair of Boston Acoustic VR 1's, Boston Acoustic VRC center speaker and an Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver.

All for $30

I got home and hooked the speakers up to my yamaha RX-V750 and the center speaker blew my Onkyo center away and the Vr1's Seemed to sound pretty good, i put on Star wars to test them out.

Sometimes i think these speakers sound great and sometimes i swear i hear like a fuzz.. NOw i'm wondering if the Onkyo receiver damaged these speakers.

When i hook up a speaker to the front left ch of the Onkyo receiver , the speaker starts crackling.

Do you think it's worth repairing the receiver?

Also about these speakers, Someone said to listen to an acapella and if the fuzz is there then the drivers are bad. If this is the case, are they worth repairing? or did i just throw $30 out the window?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Holy Cow $30 is a steal for all that. Have you tried different speakers hooked up to the left channel and tried that speaker connected to the other output? You will want to know for sure if it is the channel on the receiver or the speaker. With the other speakers the noise may not have been noticeable.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Crackling could be a component breaking down, such as a transistor that is about to fail. Could be just a dirty control or switch if the controls are not electronic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idk, Both of the boston speakers crackled on the front L ch. Honestly when i hooked the Boston Vr1's up to my Yahmaha RX-v750 they sounded cleaner... i dont think that Onkyo Receiver is worth fixing , unless it was cheap to fix.

I can get a YAMAHA RX-V1065 For $100... i cant pass that up can i?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts