Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been trying to figure out what I need and I am confused. I just spent 40 bucks on the Liquitex Silver (2363T) Paint....I purchased 4X4ounce tubes. I went to Lowes and gave the guy the numbers from the thread and he looked at me weird and asked what am I using it for.....I replied....For a projector screen....He laughed at me and said....Do you realise that this color will be "purple looking"...I was like WTF....I told him not to mix it until I was sure that what he is stating is true. Am I suppose to mix purple paint with the 40 dollar silver paint? This sounds silly, but I am no Pro at this. I need confomation before I toss 40 buck plus out the window. Also, I want to do the Elektra screen so I can have better contrast. What EXACT paint mix should I use because the C&S Ultra page is very vague in the department. I just purchased a new house and I must honestly say I miss my old C&S screen. After trying to reuse the "new" Craftsmart I came here because I was like WTF! Something must be wrong because it was PERFECT....before....and cheaper to (LOL). Any information on this would be nice...What is the name of this purple color anyway...Wanna make sure I am spot on before I move forward!

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
I can't answer your questin unfortunately, but I am pretty certain Mech or Harp can. However, I believe they normally are not on this late so you may need to wait until the AM.

As for the number of views with no reply, I am guessing there are others like me who like to read all threads. :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Ok, I have been trying to figure out what I need and I am confused. I just spent 40 bucks on the Liquitex Silver (2363T) Paint....I purchased 4X4ounce tubes. I went to Lowes and gave the guy the numbers from the thread and he looked at me weird and asked what am I using it for.....I replied....For a projector screen....He laughed at me and said....Do you realise that this color will be "purple looking"...I was like Unbelievable!....I told him not to mix it until I was sure that what he is stating is true. Am I suppose to mix purple paint with the 40 dollar silver paint? This sounds silly, but I am no Pro at this. I need confomation before I toss 40 buck plus out the window.
I understand your hesitation. To confirm, use the paint base type and tint as in the C&S™ Ultra thread (Valspar Ultra Premium Interior Latex Flat Enamel Base 1 with the following tint and amount - 115-0.67 for a quart of paint). Be aware that Lowe's has changed the name of the latex enamel to "Valspar Ultra Premium Super Flat Finish". The paint is the same, just a different name, so the existing tint formula will still work. The name of the tint color is Magenta and so little of it is used that the tinted paint would be hard to tell from white without a side-by-side comparison. That little shot of magenta is needed to make the final C&S™ Ultra mix neutral in color.

Here is a color swatch of what the base color should look like:

Also, I want to do the Elektra screen so I can have better contrast. What EXACT paint mix should I use because the C&S Ultra page is very vague in the department.
Sorry for the vagueness of darkening C&S™ Ultra to make an Elektra™ mix,but it is still under investigation. The original C&S™ mix used a silver paint with different reflective properties than Liq. BASICS Silver; when darkening C&S™ the mix had to dilute the silver paint content as well or visible sparkles might show in the N8 Elektra™ mix. Adding a N6 neutral gray paint did both. When making an Elektra™ mix with C&S™ Ultra the silver dilution is no longer needed since the Liq, BASICS Silver has a smaller flake size than the old Craft Smart Metallic Silver and visible sparkles should never be a problem now. The same amounts of N6 "shade adjuster" can be added to C&S™ Ultra as to the original C&S™, but the resulting mixes will be a little lighter in shade since C&S™ Ultra is a bit lighter than the original C&S™ (but the difference is only visible when comparing them side-by-side). I have a Valspar formula for making an N6 paint, but I don't have the formula handy at the moment, I'll have to post it later today.

I just purchased a new house and I must honestly say I miss my old C&S screen. After trying to reuse the "new" Craftsmart I came here because I was like Unbelievable!! Something must be wrong because it was PERFECT....before....and cheaper to (LOL). Any information on this would be nice...What is the name of this purple color anyway...Wanna make sure I am spot on before I move forward!
Yeah, it's a shame Craft Smart reformulated their Silver paint, it was great for making screens, and very inexpensive.

Wow....44 views and no reply?
44 views but only a bit over 2 1/2 hours in time. Sorry, but I while I try to check in here multiple times during the day (and even sometimes in the early hours as you can tell by this post), I don't live here. :bigsmile:

OH, and just to be sure - ONLY USE HALF of the quart of Valspar magenta tinted base to make C&S™ Ultra. The ratio of base to silver paint is 1:1 (50% base to 50% silver). This mix WILL be thick until you dilute it with distilled water (at least 25% water, but thin as needed). Also, the BASICS Silver won't just dissolve into the base paint, it needs to be stirred a LOT. Be sure the C&S™ Ultra is a consistent color throughout and doesn't have silver swirls in it (undissolved silver paint).

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
The N6 paint from Lowe's:

Valspar 8 oz. sample
Base 2
101-6.375
107-0.625
109-0.313

Copied from the Elektra™ thread:
To make Elektra™ N8.5 add 2.25 fl. oz. of N6 paint to 48 fl. oz. of C&S™

To make Elektra™ N8 add 6 fl. oz. of N6 paint to 48 fl. oz. of C&S™

Don't worry about getting the amount of N6 paint exactly right; for example, if you would only put 2 fl. oz. of N6 in to make Elektra™ N8.5 you would not be able to tell the difference with the naked eye.

For ease of measuring the N6 paint, 1 fl. oz. = 30 ml or 2 U.S. tablespoons.

Even though the formula for C&S™ Ultra makes 40 fl. oz. of mix instead of the 48 fl. oz. for the original C&S™ I would still use the same amount of N6 paint additions since C&S™ Ultra is a bit lighter than C&S™.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, but I ended up doing something a tad different. After researching like crazy I was about to take the paints back to Michael's, but decided to keep them and add to a different type of paint. I used a quart of untinted SW(16 oz) and mixed it with the Liqitek Paint(16 oz). I used 4 oz of distilled water because that stuff is major thick......Anyway, I am completly floored by my results. I got the idea from C&S and from this link from pc....
http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Paint-the-Screen
Luckily this mix does not hot spot and is very bright and vivid. I used the SW alone as a "primer" so to speak then used the rest in my mix as a top coat/finish coat. Before adding the top coat, I gave my projector a go and even without the Liqutex the paint alone was awesome.......but with the Liquitex the picture quality is even more amazing. I think you guys should fiddle around with the Sheman Williams. It is a excellent paint. I am more than satisfied with the outcome. I am going to do my second screen with the Elektra mix now that you have confirmed. Thanks for the reply.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
No problem Crunk. ;) The mix you describe would be very much like C&S™ Ultra, but probably not as neutral. If you ever want to have a sample of that mix tested just let Mech or me know and we will let you know how to prepare the sample and where to send it.

BTW, if you like the SW paints, their color 'Gray Shingle' SW7670 is a very neutral N6 and would make an excellent "shade adjuster" for any neutral paint or mix. :T

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem Crunk. ;) The mix you describe would be very much like C&S™ Ultra, but probably not as neutral. If you ever want to have a sample of that mix tested just let Mech or me know and we will let you know how to prepare the sample and where to send it.

BTW, if you like the SW paints, their color 'Gray Shingle' SW7670 is a very neutral N6 and would make an excellent "shade adjuster" for any neutral paint or mix. :T
Aye Harp.....Man I really can thank you nor Mech enough for the help that the two of you have given me. I haven't been active on the forums because BW and C&S is just so wesome that not much was needed to be said. When the original C&S didn't go my way I came back to guys that I KNEW would put me on the right track. The problem I am faced with now is do I do another C&S or BW. You and Mech make it so hard that I wanna throw a brick at the two of you. I have a little paint left and if you want I can send a sample. That would be no problem given all the help you guys give here at HTS. I am not a SW fan or anything I just wanted a quick paint solution so I could game, watch movies, and etc. As for the gray shingle I may give it a try, but then again I like to have the best of both world. I pretty much have a C&S screen now and I think the BR should go to BW like last time. If you and Mech ever leave this place I will find you....and kill you both. 8o)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they won't....I will....I got my AAA today, but had to till a garden for the old lady. Can't wait for my LG projector to come...been saving up for it for a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts