Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

· Registered
2,075 Posts
Mike, you work fast! I almost completely missed this thread! I knew about halfway through that you would be happy with this little sub, it really is impressive for a 10 incher. Great work on the design and build. I can't wait to see it finished and with the spikes.

· Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Yes, I'm very impressed with this sub. After seeing Rodny's fantastic piano black finish, I'm not sure how I'm going to finish mine. Maybe I'll do a "Canadian Piano Black", spray on truck bed liner! :bigsmile:
Just pay the shipping round trip and I"ll painted for you!!:bigsmile:

· Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Apply the HPF on the models so the cone excursion is the same and ported has a 1 db advantage which is unnoticeable. What caught my attention with the CSS kit is the PR's are externally adjustable, I can change the tuning depending on how the sub interacts with the room.

· Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You get a slightly smaller box since the PR's displace less than a port, no port noise, and it looks cool! I have read that some people prefer the sound of a PR compared to a ported, I haven't had enough time with the sub yet to see if there is a difference.

· Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That's the effect of room gain, which are specific to the room I measured the sub in. Bear in mind the sub was corner loaded and the SPL meter was one meter away. This was just a test to see what the sub would do. I'm hoping to post a REW graph next week when I get home from work.

· Registered
2,075 Posts
Yes, I'm very impressed with this sub. After seeing Rodny's fantastic piano black finish, I'm not sure how I'm going to finish mine. Maybe I'll do a "Canadian Piano Black", spray on truck bed liner! :bigsmile:
Yeah, Rodny's piano black really put us all to shame. :foottap: Is that a bannable offense!? Can someone at least put him on probation for outclassing us like that? :whistling:

· Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Here's a quick update. All holes filled and sanded, 3/4 inch round over done to all edges and final sanding done.

Box Packaging and labeling

Box

First coat of sealer done. I'll do a second coat later on tonight after this one dries. Tomorrow hopefully it'll be warm enough outside so I can paint the box. I have all the parts cut and glued together for the grills and will start on that tomorrow as well.

Cardboard Box Wood

· Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got the grills done. Since the sub and PR's are surface mounted the grills are simple to build using a "friction fit" method. First glue two pieces of MDF together and cut a circle 12 inches in diameter.
Plywood Table Wood Floor Circle

Round over the out side edge.
Dairy

Cut out the inside of the grill just a hair smaller then the diameter of the sub and the PR's. A few minutes of hand sanding the inside ensures a perfect fit.
Light Bangle Circle Wood Fashion accessory

Grill frame sanded and painted black.
Auto part Rim Circle

Grill cloth attached to frame.
Circle Hat Headgear Metal

Cabinet painted and components installed.
Audio equipment Subwoofer Loudspeaker Technology Electronic device

Grills installed.
Plastic Square Metal

· Registered
2,075 Posts
Mike, that's a good lookin' cube. Are the grills pretty snug on there? No worry they'll rattle loose? How do you have it set up in the room... is the non-driver side facing a wall? Would there be any negative effects of one of the PR's facing a wall if it was placed in a corner?

21 - 40 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.