Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if these are any good? Are the fans noisy?

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ordered 2 of these beasts...we will see how quiet they are. I got a great deal on them as the MSRP is $2500 each, with street price being $1700 each. I got them for $295 each shipped!
He still has more left if anyone is interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252322877131?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Specs: Rated power bridge mode 8 Ohms: 320 Watts
Rated power bridge mode 140V: 460 Watts
Rated power (1 x 4 Ohms): 160 Watts
Rated power (1 x 8 Ohms): 240 Watts
Rated power 70.7V (24 Ohms): 230 Watts
Rated power (8 x 4 Ohms): 150 Watts
Rated power (8 x 8 Ohms): 210 Watts
Rated power (8 x 70.7V): 170 Watts
Minimum load impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency response (HPF off): 5 Hz - 20 kHz; -1 dB at 1 Watt (8 Ohm load)
T.H.D.: <0.02% @ rated power, 1kHz (70.7V)
Input CMRR: >-60 dB @ 1 kHz
Crosstalk: >-60 dB @ 1 kHz at rated power @ 8 Ohms
Hum and noise: >-97 dB, below rated output, 22Hz - 22kHz
Damping factor (8 Ohms): >200:1 @ 20 Hz - 1 kHz
Input sensitivity: .775V (0 dBu setting)
Voltage gain: x40 or 0 dBu (x90)
Input impedance: 20 k Ohms balanced, 10 k Ohms unbalanced
Current Draw @ 1/8 power: 4.0 Amps
Current Draw @ 1/3 power: 8.0 Amps
Current draw @ idle: <2 Amp
Thermal emission @ 1/8 power: 724 BTU/hr
Thermal emission @ 1/3 power: 947 BTU/hr
Class: D
Country of manufacture: United States

Cooling: Variable speed, front panel mounted, front-to-side airflow
Controls: 8 channel input signal attenuators‚ 8 channel HPF select switches, 8 channel gain select switches
Indicators: 8 clip‚ 8 signal‚ 8 protect, 1 power
Protection: Over-temperature‚ DC‚ turn on/off transients‚ subsonic‚ short-circuit, over-current
Connectors Input: Eight 3-position Euro-style detachable terminal blocks
Connectors output: Eight 2-position Euro-style detachable terminal blocks
Construction: 16-gauge steel-reinforced with 12-gauge rack ears
Dimensions: 8.84 cm x48.26 cm x 43.31 cm (3.5” x 19” x 17.05)
Net weight: 16.5 kg. (36.5 lbs.), Gross weight: 17.2 kg. (38 lbs.)

http://www.peaveycommercialaudio.com/cache/865.pdf

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, that looks like a really good deal. I'm not familiar with those connectors. Are they easy to come by?
They are Phoenix connectors, and go for $1-$10 each. I contacted the seller and he included all I would need. I prefer XLRs but my friend said XLRs are only good for removing and re-installing, where as these are for leaving connected. My MiniDSP DDRC-88A has them too but theirs are in multi connector blocks (4 or 8 per block I believe). What I have read about the Crest Audio amps is the early ones were made by Electro Voice, and the newer ones are made by Peavey. The ones I am getting are the ones EV made I believe.

I am really anxious to get these hooked up and see how they sound. They have been shipped via USPS so it will be almost 2 weeks before i get them (if the tracking info is correct). Once I get them I am going to make sure they work, and then look at fan noise to see if it will be an issue before I shove them into the rack.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I picked up one, too....for the price and number of channels a no-brainer. Curious, what is it about this amp design that creates less output at 4 ohm than 8 ohm? I haven't seen that before but assume this is somewhat related to the 70V capability?

Reactions: NBPk402

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip, I picked up one, too....for the price and number of channels a no-brainer. Curious, what is it about this amp design that creates less output at 4 ohm than 8 ohm? I haven't seen that before but assume this is somewhat related to the 70V capability?
I don't know... I am thinking it has to do with the power supply, but that is just a guess. I am assuming this from hearing years ago that a real good power supply would double the power when you halved the impedance. I am not an electrician though. Everything I have read about their amps has been good, and the price was great so I decided to go with it. My speakers are all 8ohm except for the horns (which are 112db), so I figure I am safe. :)

Mine won't arrive for 2 weeks according to the tracking info, so you might be getting yours sooner...depending on where you live (I am in Northern California). Post up what you think of it when you get it! :T

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't know... I am thinking it has to do with the power supply, but that is just a guess. I am assuming this from hearing years ago that a real good power supply would double the power when you halved the impedance. I am not an electrician though. Everything I have read about their amps has been good, and the price was great so I decided to go with it. My speakers are all 8ohm except for the horns (which are 112db), so I figure I am safe. :)

Mine won't arrive for 2 weeks according to the tracking info, so you might be getting yours sooner...depending on where you live (I am in Northern California). Post up what you think of it when you get it! :T
My ETA is between 4/22 and 4/30....used to be in norcal, now in SE Orygun. Even if its got a noisy fan I've got an app for it and if quiet then a few other options....

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My ETA is between 4/22 and 4/30....used to be in norcal, now in SE Orygun. Even if its got a noisy fan I've got an app for it and if quiet then a few other options....
What is the app that will quiet the fans? What are the other options?

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sent Crest Audio an email to find out why the 4 ohm is less power than the 8 ohm... I will post up their response.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the manual for the amp.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I might pick one of these up as well... It would probably work out well in place of my ancient Rane MA6. As for noisy fans, if might very well be possible to replace the fan with something quieter, especially if you're running considerably below the ratings as I would likely do.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might pick one of these up as well... It would probably work out well in place of my ancient Rane MA6. As for noisy fans, if might very well be possible to replace the fan with something quieter, especially if you're running considerably below the ratings as I would likely do.
He is selling them for a couple hundred below what everyone else is and they appear to be in very good condition.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am curious to see what Crest says. They really don't say much about the amplifier design or architechture in their documentation.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am curious to see what Crest says. They really don't say much about the amplifier design or architechture in their documentation.
I noticed that some of their other amps do have more power in 4 ohm than 8 ohm.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I assume it has something to do with them not needing a change in settinging changing from 70V use but haven't found an explanation.....did one of you actually contact Crest about this?

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I assume it has something to do with them not needing a change in settinging changing from 70V use but haven't found an explanation.....did one of you actually contact Crest about this?
I sent them an email...we will see what they say. :T

Reactions: lovinthehd

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is their response..

"The CM 2208 has it's output optimized for an 8 ohm load when used as a low Z amplifier. The output power will be current limited and is reduced when connected to a 4 ohm load to prevent overload/overheating. "

Reactions: lovinthehd

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It would be interesting to know more about how they accomplish this.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It would be interesting to know more about how they accomplish this.
It would be, but I doubt they would tell us. I have yet to even find a picture of the internals for this one. If the fans turn out to be noisy I will pop the cover...I might even pop the cover just to see what is under it.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My ETA moved from Friday to today. I almost didn't get mine today as the UPS driver drove by my house and down another street. I hopped in my car and chased him down. :) Wait until you see how he packed them... I have never seen anyone pack like this and I will do the same for my stuff that i don't have original boxes for. He made a wood frame That sandwiched the rack mounts between it so there is almost zero chance of it being damaged from the sides. For the top and bottom he used plenty of bubble wrap and there was zero damage. Both units are like new!

I have only powered them up to check for fan noise so far... The fans are noisier than I want so it looks like there will be some mods (after the amps are tested for sound). When you get yours let me know what you are going to do for the fan noise, please. :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts