Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
My ETA moved from Friday to today. I almost didn't get mine today as the UPS driver drove by my house and down another street. I hopped in my car and chased him down. :) Wait until you see how he packed them... I have never seen anyone pack like this and I will do the same for my stuff that i don't have original boxes for. He made a wood frame That sandwiched the rack mounts between it so there is almost zero chance of it being damaged from the sides. For the top and bottom he used plenty of bubble wrap and there was zero damage. Both units are like new!

I have only powered them up to check for fan noise so far... The fans are noisier than I want so it looks like there will be some mods (after the amps are tested for sound). When you get yours let me know what you are going to do for the fan noise, please. :)

My tracking shows ETA tomorrow via fedex.....and I won't be home.....I saw our UPS driver in town today and told him to bring the speakers I'm expecting down to the shop I'm doing some parttime work at....will leave a note for the Fedex guy, hopefully he will do the same. Glad to hear they're well packed (having spent most of my life in the freight business)! Will let you know what I think about the fans soon....did you perhaps put an spl meter on it for a reading?

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My tracking shows ETA tomorrow via fedex.....and I won't be home.....I saw our UPS driver in town today and told him to bring the speakers I'm expecting down to the shop I'm doing some parttime work at....will leave a note for the Fedex guy, hopefully he will do the same. Glad to hear they're well packed (having spent most of my life in the freight business)! Will let you know what I think about the fans soon....did you perhaps put an spl meter on it for a reading?
Mine was via UPS...surprised yours is via FedEx. I used a app on my phone to measure it. It came out as 82db with one on and 86db with both on. The measurement was about a foot in front of the amps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine was via UPS...surprised yours is via FedEx. I used a app on my phone to measure it. It came out as 82db with one on and 86db with both on. The measurement was about a foot in front of the amps.
Yow that's loud. What'd you need to do to get both to come on?

Maybe fedex cheaper for single package....or he just spreads it around....

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yow that's loud. What'd you need to do to get both to come on?

Maybe fedex cheaper for single package....or he just spreads it around....
The fans are constant... I had thought they were variable, but apparently only the newer ones are. It might be as simple as replacing them with a newer fan, to quiet them down. Post up how yours is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The fans are constant... I had thought they were variable, but apparently only the newer ones are. It might be as simple as replacing them with a newer fan, to quiet them down. Post up how yours is.
Just unboxed it, agree this guy packs well! I just plugged it in to AC to make sure it runs, fans aren't as loud as I expected after your post, but not as friendly as a Crown XLS Drivecore amp either. I didn't put an spl meter to it, will later. Suppose that was just first level of fan, tho. I'll play more with it soon but not sure I'll bother with a fan mode for that noise level, at least until such time as I may want to bring it into the living room. I'll open it up later and see what they look like and what options might be. Nice bit of amp for $300 in any case, thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just unboxed it, agree this guy packs well! I just plugged it in to AC to make sure it runs, fans aren't as loud as I expected after your post, but not as friendly as a Crown XLS Drivecore amp either. I didn't put an spl meter to it, will later. Suppose that was just first level of fan, tho. I'll play more with it soon but not sure I'll bother with a fan mode for that noise level, at least until such time as I may want to bring it into the living room. I'll open it up later and see what they look like and what options might be. Nice bit of amp for $300 in any case, thanks for the tip.
When i measured the fan noise I did it from the front of the amp as that is where it appeared loudest. When you get a chance, can you measure the noise on yours...maybe mine are louder. T

·
Registered
152 Posts
Since you used a phone app I can do that easily enough....at 1 ft I got readings in 58-60 range depending how I oriented the phone, at around a meter away it dropped to 50-52 range. I had originally oriented it sideways on my workshop bench to make it easier to plug in....altho I knew it was louder at the front, turning it around did raise my eyebrows just a bit more :) Might need to look into that fan mod sooner than later :)

Reactions: NBPk402

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Since you used a phone app I can do that easily enough....at 1 ft I got readings in 58-60 range depending how I oriented the phone, at around a meter away it dropped to 50-52 range. I had originally oriented it sideways on my workshop bench to make it easier to plug in....altho I knew it was louder at the front, turning it around did raise my eyebrows just a bit more :) Might need to look into that fan mod sooner than later :)
Sounds like mine def needs new fans.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just opened up the amp to look at the fan... Still have to pop the pins out for the cardboard tunnel/shield.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I ended up also removing the faceplate to get to the fan. Here is the fan
[/URL][/IMG]

Any ideas on one that would be quieter?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have ARCTIC F8 PWM PST fans in my HTPC chassis, and F10 fans as thermal exhaust for my rack cutout. They aren't completely silent, but they offer a very good ration of noise-to-airflow. I've also been happy with CoolerMaster Sickle-Flows, but I think the Arctic's beat them in noise-to-flow ratio in the 80mm category. (I'm not even sure at the moment if CoolerMaster makes that series in 80mm)

BONUS POINTS: The Arctics are on Amazon Prime.

EDIT: Looking closer at that pic, I see the motor on the fan says 5V. The F8 comes in a non-PWM controlled version that will run at 5V, but the airflow at that setting is not quoted. I found another fan by Gdstime that quotes 25dBA, 17CFM @ 2200RPM, 5VDC.

Searching "5V DC fan" was highly informative. I am strongly considering picking up one of these amps, and these are the fans I would test.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have ARCTIC F8 PWM PST fans in my HTPC chassis, and F10 fans as thermal exhaust for my rack cutout. They aren't completely silent, but they offer a very good ration of noise-to-airflow. I've also been happy with CoolerMaster Sickle-Flows, but I think the Arctic's beat them in noise-to-flow ratio in the 80mm category. (I'm not even sure at the moment if CoolerMaster makes that series in 80mm)

EDIT: Looking closer at that pic, I see the motor on the fan says 5V. The F8 comes in a non-PWM controlled version that will run at 5V, but the airflow at that setting is not quoted. I found another fan by Gdstime that quotes 25dBA, 17CFM @ 2200RPM, 5VDC.

Searching "5V DC fan" was highly informative. I am strongly considering picking up one of these amps, and these are the fans I would test.
I wonder if anyone makes one that is thicker so the blades would be at more of an angle to get higher airflow...when the cardboard tube is removed you have 80mm of depth to play with.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

What do you think of this one?
http://www.amazon.com/noctua-NF-A4X10-FLX-5V-Noctua-Fan/dp/B00NEMGCIA

I researched and I got real close on the model number I found a AD0805HX-C70 instead of my C71...
Specs were:
5v
.40 current
5.16 power (W)
3010 rpm
27.3 cfm
3.25 static pressure
31.4 noise

The specs on the fan I found are(not sure how the noise compares as they are written diffently)... http://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x10-5v/specification

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
disregard i found out it won't do anywhere near the cfm of the stock one. :(

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I think this one might be the ticket...
https://www.quietpc.com/gel-wing8-uvblue

Specifications Wing 8 Fan
Air Flow (CFM) 28.1
Bearing Nanoflux Bearing (NFB)
Cable Length (mm) 500
Connector 3-Pin
Current (A) 0.1
Dimensions (mm) 80 x 80 x 25
Fan Speed (RPM) 2000
Noise Level (dBA) 10 - 21
Safety Approvals UL, CUL, CE, RoHS Compliant
Static Pressure (mmAq) 2.05
Voltage (V) 5
Accessories Four rubber fan mounts and fan Resistor Cable
Weight (g) 68
Warranty 24 months

·
Registered
431 Posts
So, the stock fan moves 27.3cfm, according to your research?

I'd bet that the fan they chose is set up such that it will dissipate the heat generated by running the amp at its rated power for extended periods... and I'd also bet that if you're using it as a surround/height/atmos channel amp, you'll be far enough under the rated power output that a minor variance in airflow won't cause you any real trouble. That Gelid Solutions fan looks pretty great for an 80mm 5V fan. It's pricey, and it's making a long trip to get to you... but that's going to be a very difficult fan to contend with.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So, the stock fan moves 27.3cfm, according to your research?

I'd bet that the fan they chose is set up such that it will dissipate the heat generated by running the amp at its rated power for extended periods... and I'd also bet that if you're using it as a surround/height/atmos channel amp, you'll be far enough under the rated power output that a minor variance in airflow won't cause you any real trouble. That Gelid Solutions fan looks pretty great for an 80mm 5V fan. It's pricey, and it's making a long trip to get to you... but that's going to be a very difficult fan to contend with.
Thanks, I am going to call Crest on Monday and see how low of a CFM fan will be ok. I am using the amps for all my speakers. My front channel horns are 112db, bass bins 100db, surrounds and Atmos are about 90db.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 57 Posts