Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

281 - 300 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would give the nod to the UMIK-1 over the UMM-6 for two reasons: 1) slightly better low frequency response, and 2) not as fragile (I'm seeing a lot of complaints about UMM-6's either arriving with the barrel broken off, or the barrel breaking off at the slightest bit of stress, such as being dropped on a carpet)...
I own an EMM-6 and its shell is quite stout very similar to the UMIK in build... in fact, I'd be willing to bet they are both made in the same manufacturing facility. I also have owned the UMIK (Rev B) but returned it for refund due to the ever changing calibration issues they were having at the time. I now own a UMM-6 and actually am quite pleased with it. I can see where, if dropped, the UMM-6 would be more fragile than a UMIK, or even the EMM-6 for that matter, simply because the narrow end that holds the capsule is much smaller in diameter... all else being equal, a thinner stem is just going to be weaker. As for the better low frequency response... this is not so much an issue as the calibration file that comes with it and if purchasing a UMIK direct from MiniDSP I personally wouldn't trust it's calibration file but from CSL (Anechoic) that's a different story. There is a third thing that wasn't mentioned above so I guess I will: The thing I've also noticed is the inherent noise. My EMM-6 has a very low noise floor that's also free from spurious 1kHz spikes. By contrast, the UMIK I had, had an issue with a high noise floor but also it had a curious 1kHz spike (that persisted at all freqs above it in 1kHz intervals). It wasn't really a problem for me because I take all my measurements near reference but for other UMIK owners it apparently was a significant issue... eventually MiniDSP did respond with a mod (Rev C) to the board to remove the spikes and overall it apparently has accordingly also lowered the noise floor. Well, my UMM-6 has this same high noise floor and 1kHz spike pattern that the UMIK exhibited before the revised board. Again, it poses no problems for me but I wonder if it might not be an issue for others?

Anechoic... your reasons for picking the UMIK over the UMM-6 I don't think is any big deal at all, especially since you are providing purchasers such an accurate calibration file for both, however I think the noise issue (with those 1kHz spikes) may be a far more significant factor as to why the UMIK would be a better choice over the UMM-6. If I had known you were going to be also selling the UMIK at the time I placed my order for the UMM-6, I would have probably chosen the UMIK. Since the UMIK I had was a Rev B and exhibited those noise issues, could you verify to others here that indeed those noise issues have been dealt with and solved on the newer UMIKs (Rev C)?

Bottom line... I'm very pleased with my UMM-6 with CSL calibration file but I believe others should be aware of the noise issue with it when trying to decide which to purchase between the UMIK and the UMM-6.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
My EMM-6 has a very low noise floor that's also free from spurious 1kHz spikes. By contrast, the UMIK I had, had an issue with a high noise floor but also it had a curious 1kHz spike (that persisted at all freqs above it in 1kHz intervals). [..] Well, my UMM-6 has this same high noise floor and 1kHz spike pattern that the UMIK exhibited before the revised the board.
Yep.

Since the UMIK I had was a Rev B and exhibited those noise issues, could you verify to others here that indeed those noise issues have been dealt with and solved on the newer UMIKs (Rev C)?
I was told that this was addressed, but I haven't had a chance to verify that yet. It's on the list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was able to get an order in on the umik. I notice that the site has been updated with a later shipping date. Is this date for a later batch? Will the earlier orders start shipping out at this date or 6/3?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I was able to get an order in on the umik. I notice that the site has been updated with a later shipping date. Is this date for a later batch? Will the earlier orders start shipping out at this date or 6/3?
Assuming your initials are "DH" your order will ship tomorrow. Also you should PM or email me to claim your HTS discount.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Anechoic
Can you tell me when you will restock the UMIK-1? I tried to order it and you website indicated it is sold out.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Anechoic
Can you tell me when you will restock the UMIK-1? I tried to order it and you website indicated it is sold out.
Cheers
It might be a while unfortunately, my schedule is insane right now (and flight cancellations aren't helping... greetings from Atlanta!). At least a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I ordered the UMIK-1 can you tell me the approximate shipping date?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Regarding my CSL UMIK-1 order . I received the USPS shipping notice today so its on its way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just placed an order for the UMIK-1 yesterday - hoping they have them back in stock and I won't end up waiting too long. I'm running out of time until I start a new job and won't have time to "play" with this stuff anymore :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Phillips suggested I post this here, so here I go:

The following message was originally posted on the MiniDSP forums, but unfortunately I received no response in 4 days, so I'm posting it here hoping that someone can help me:

I'm definitely interested in buying one of those UMIK-1 microphones, but I've read a lot of concerns about their elevated noise floor (~50dB dBA, whereas other microphones in the same price range can do ~30dBA). To be fair this matches the specifications, which indicate max SPL at 133dB SPL and a noise floor at -74dBFS, which translates to an absolute noise floor of 59dB SPL. Nevertheless, I would appreciate being able to use the UMIK-1 to do THD measurements which require a clean, low noise floor.

I have the following questions:
  • Last time I checked, there was an issue with the noise floor being dominated by a nasty spike at 1kHz followed by its harmonics. Apparently this was an issue with an early batch and should be fixed now. Could someone confirm this?
  • What are the numbers regarding the noise floor for the recent revisions of the UMIK-1? I would greatly appreciate if people who ordered one recently could post a screenshot of what an RTA looks like in a very quiet room.
  • Is the UMIK-1 well-isolated with regard to USB power noise or should I be careful what I plug this thing into?
  • Does increasing the recording volume (i.e. in Windows) have any effect on the absolute (i.e. in dB SPL) noise floor? At first glance I would guess that the volume control is digital so it wouldn't have any effect, but I would sure like a confirmation.
  • It appears that you can open the UMIK-1 and change the sensitivity using DIP switches. Depending on where the noise is coming from, increasing the sensitivity might, in theory, lower the absolute noise floor in the same proportion. I don't require low sensitivity (I would be fine with just 110dB max SPL), so that wouldn't be a problem.
    • Has anyone tried this? Does this tweak have any effect on the absolute (i.e. in dB SPL) noise floor?
    • Is it safe to do this with regard to altering the microphone - i.e. is there a risk of causing damage, screwing up the calibration, etc.?
Thanks in advance for your answers!

281 - 300 of 368 Posts