Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

321 - 340 of 368 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Without having been subject to the vagaries of USPS, I wonder if it's worth offering both options e.g. UPS and USPS, and the buyer can make the choice.
This would be my preference as well. Some may be willing to pay an additional 5-10% for the more reliable shipping times, but others will be willing to wait the extra few days for delivery. If you were to offer FedEx or UPS, I'd bet that a lot of those customers would even opt for next day delivery.
I agree this would be ideal, but it's not something we can accommodate right now. If we were large enough that we had an office with regular UPS/FedEx/USPS pickups it would be one thing, but offering customers a choice would mean a haphazard schedule of trying to arrange pickups from the various services or driving around town to make various dropoffs and it's not something we can do right now. Maybe in 10-12 months, but not right now, so it's really going to be about picking one service and sticking with it.

Thanks for the various well-wishes. We're trying to do better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, all the very best with your decisions :)

I'm allergic to paying excess postage (although do appreciate it's at cost to you). Some of the international shipping rates from premium shipping companies (e.g FedEx) make extortion look like the bargain of the century. That said, there are now reasonable USA postal forwarding services for we non-US buyers and I'm sure I could rapidly develop an allergy to lost / delayed parcels as well.

...speaking of which, I was thrilled to see my order for a UMIK-1 proceed this morning. Thanks for releasing the next batch to the baying mob! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put in a order for one calibrated Umik a week ago when they were again availeble. Paypal sent me a message that it's payed but I didn't get feedback on a email or anything. I don't know if my order has been processed or not. All is well and some day there will be a delivery? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
After dilly dallying for about 6 months to order a umik-1 or not, I ordered one from minidsp and received the device today. I was expecting to see a USB thumb drive but could not find it. I come to this site to see whats going on and sure I was supposed to order it from cross spectrum Labs and not from minidsp directly. :crying:

Is it all lost?? Before I try to get in touch with minidsp and try to return it, can some one tell me if I am going to miss much by using this stock device as opposed to the one from CSL. I am still kicking myself for making this stupid mistake.

Regards
Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the instant reply. Do you advice returning the stock Umik-1 and get the one from CSL? I am a newbie to all this and just want to know if it is worth to get the MOST accurate one or just be happy with the one which shows the ball park?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I am CSL, so it would be a little self-serving to recommend myself. The biggest differentiator between what I offer and the factor cal is that I provide off-axis calibrations that are more suitable to room/home theater calibrations, while the on-axis calls provide my MiniDSP are more suited for loudspeaker measurements. But for someone just starting out, I wouldn't sweat the details too much.

Are you in the USA? If so and your mic is in "like-new" condition with all the accessories, I can offer you a trade-in credit toward one of my mics in return for your mic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Anechoic

I left a VM for you earlier in the day ( before I could read your post) and just now sent an email to you from your website. Now that this is my 5th post, may be I qualify to start using the PM :)

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Hi Herb,
I've got 2 pre-USB Behringer ECM8000's!
1 w/o a cal file bought in mid-2008, then 2nd from you via CSL bought late 2010.

kinda getting tired of the whole mobile-pre & loopback thing when doing measurements, so possible time for me to get a USB mic, ha my 3rd mic.
Any discount for a repeat buyer? :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Well looking at CSL site appears the UMM-6 has issue with noise floor that the MiniDSP UMIK-1 does not, hence I'll get the MiniDSP UMIK-1 .

Herb - is the MiniDSP UMIK-1 noise floor confirmed on par with 30-40db of my ECM8000?

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html
What is the down side?
There are two issues we have discovered with the UMM-6:

• The UMM-6 microphone has a relatively high noise floor of about 53 dB, compared to a noise floor of 30-40 dBA for the ECM8000 and EMM-6. This noise floor can cause issues with distortion measurements or measurements of quiet sources.

• The microphone may not work properly with software that expects the input device and output device to share the same clock source (for example, ARTA has issues when averaging multiple measurements with the UMM-6).

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
The UMIK-1 noise floor is on par with the ECM8000 noise floor (and slightly higher than the EMM-6 noise floor). Bad news is that I'm out of stock of UMIK-1 and since MiniDSP is also out of stock, I may not get any more until sometime in January.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
The UMIK-1 noise floor is on par with the ECM8000 noise floor (and slightly higher than the EMM-6 noise floor). Bad news is that I'm out of stock of UMIK-1 and since MiniDSP is also out of stock, I may not get any more until sometime in January.
Ok - I'll place my order now and get it when available, thx.

Your item(s) sold out
We're sorry, the following item(s) isn't available at this time:

Calibrated MiniDSP UMIK-1
Item number: umik1
:sad:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
No, no they are not! I had a few left over from the last batch that I'm releasing to folks who had expressed an interest (and for a couple of warranty exchanges), but once these are gone that's going to be it for at least a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
No, no they are not! I had a few left over from the last batch that I'm releasing to folks who had expressed an interest (and for a couple of warranty exchanges), but once these are gone that's going to be it for at least a few weeks.
sorry Herb for confusion :innocent: - and thx for getting mine out in this batch

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
It's okay, it's just that I've found that words on these forums tend to spread quickly and I want to head off the inevitable deluge of "I heard that UMIK-1s were in stock, but the site won't let me order, what's going on??" emails. :TT

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Okay, MiniDSP informed me that a shipment is on it's way and should arrive mid-next week. We're taking pre-orders now and should start shipping by the 15th (hopefully sooner but I want to allow some cushion in case our consulting business flares up).

Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a lot of information out there, these seem quite popular, so sorry if you answered this else ware. I was wondering how difficult is is to switch between the 90°, 45°, and 0° modes? Do I need to load a calibration file for each one and switch between them depending on use?

321 - 340 of 368 Posts