Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 1 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Hi Guy's, Im a complete beginner who wants to build a set of 3way speakers as a present for my sons up coming 18th. I want to build them from the ground up. In the research I have done, I see the greatest challange being designing & building the 3w XO, as I am a carpenter and not an electrical engineer. Can you please give me some advice on where I should look to get easy to understand info on the subject. I will me using Peerless speakers, as they are what I can afford & are obtainable here in Oz.

DQ
Well... I'm sorry but there just isn't an easy solution. Most people spend years learning how to design loudspeakers and invest not just hundreds of hours into the process, but many thousands of dollars on test equipment, failed designs, parts, software and educational materials.

Speaker building is a gas, lots of fun and I encourage anyone intent on learning to jump in with both feet. But the bottom line is that it is a long and laborious process before you get something out the other end of the process that sounds better than a commercial loudspeaker.

Kits are a good solution for people who don't want to do all the design but want to build something. My advice is to at least follow a design already done by a competent designer.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 1 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.