Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am working on setting up an in-home stereo (I will put up a page and pics soon) and have a question about 'matching' the sub with the mids as far as phase is concerned: So, the basic setup is the output of a USM-810 (8x10 mixer/processor) driving a cts-8200 amp (8 channel amp) along with driving a k1 amplifier which powers the subs. Now, my speakers *should* roll off around ~80 hz (according to WinISD Pro) at 12db/oct. I am trying to 'match' that rolloff to a 12db/oct low pass filter on the sub. Effectively I am using the natural roll off of the speaker as the high pass and the low pass on the sub to make it match with where the speakers stop producing as well. Anyways, I was unsure how to set the phase (normal or 180 deg out of phase) on the sub woofer. I do not have much experience with 12db/oct crossovers and the fact that I am not actually crossing-over the midrange speakers makes me unsure how to proceed... Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
It will depend where the sub/speakers are positioned in your room and we won't be able to tell you which to use without hearing the system or seeing some measurements.

Basically, you set everything up and then set the phase to what gives you the most prominent, well located bass. If you do a measurement and you see a null around the crossover point, you'll need to experiment with adjusting phase and re-positioning your speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts