Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I know what you mean, my belt sander weighs over 1kg and really is tedious to use that way.
These days I make one thin, ie 8 - 10 mm, mdf template and then use a router with a straight edge bit with ball bearing wheel to shape the rest.

Router bit.jpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Moo Cow :D

Hey not bad...... The bass is back. I like the sound of the reverse tweeter.

The Morels are smother, still getting a bit of a shout now and then.

New to move them a room with some carpet.

I guess I could go back and slip in a 15w L-pad, while I wait for some extra parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Now I did use my router the other day.

Extra bonus points if you can tell me what is inside the bases? :dontknow:

I know what you mean, my belt sander weighs over 1kg and really is tedious to use that way.
These days I make one thin, ie 8 - 10 mm, mdf template and then use a router with a straight edge bit with ball bearing wheel to shape the rest.

View attachment 39653

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Okay better - I even made sure the tweeter coil & woofer coil are the same (8.3ohm)
Tweeter 18g/Woofer 14g

The woofer is not going down without a fight - which I expected. I.e. it is competing with the Tweeter above 2200hz. (4,000 I can't hear the woofer at all)

I could order new tweeters...just so many out there. Maybe one closer to 89db - 90db.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
The woofer is not going down without a fight - which I expected. I.e. it is competing with the Tweeter above 2200hz. (4,000 I can't hear the woofer at all)

I could order new tweeters...just so many out there. Maybe one closer to 89db - 90db.
Do you have access to a SPL meter or REW?

REW makes it easy to measure the difference in levels between the two drivers, then just calculate the value needed for the L Pad circuit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lent my SPL to a buddy - few years later he showed me his meter :yikes:

Friends NEVER LEND TOOLS - NEVER LEND TOOLS WITHOUT YOUR NAME...:nono:

I'm sure I can pad the tweeter down, this is not Odougbo's first rodeo :rofl:

I think - - - I need help with xo point and/or phase issues.

The Morel are known for mid range, it has 1,500 printed right on the back. I wouldn't mind trying something new.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
That looks pretty good frequency wise.

It looks like it is tuned to 65 Hz. The rise in impedance at that point is typical for a tuned enclosure.
You could add a Zobel network to reduce the impedance at the top end although it is not excessive.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I checked the woofer xo with clip lead (shunt) it does seem to work around 2,000+ :boxer:

The one morel had a buzz (which is not uncommon) - I had one left, that was clearer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
There's some kind of overlap problem - the tweeter might just be going too low. In desperation I used a 6db L-pad which sounded best of all - but cymbals are starting to fade away.

I.e. the mid range is way too :eek: However the bass is really kicking!!!!

Trial & Error - maybe switch to bigger coil (1mH) and/or smaller cap.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
The butterworth design has a slight rise at the crossover point. This could be causing your issues.
(Again, access to REW would confirm this. You could replace each speaker with an 8Ω resistor and then combine the two graphs.)

Alternatively, If you have the resources, a Linkwitz-Riley configuration is flat across the crossover region.

eg

21 - 40 of 157 Posts