Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I had a pair of Clarity Caps (large size, Red color) 3.9uf so slipped them in (removed the 4.7 tweeter cap).

That was a large improvement, a much sweeter sound. I don't know, some say caps don't make a difference but some swear by them.

E.g. SR71s use them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
The smartest thing I did yesterday was to add small terminal bock for the 1st tweeter resisitor - now it only takes a few seconds to try different values and levels.

Settled on 3.3ohm.

I should mention, when I 1st looked at the xo circuitry I was :huh: but it's not bad at all (and why started this project)

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Another front flare project, 2 days to get box tuning right, 3 day total.

Drivers: 6.5 Silver Fute / Vifa X25 in a 13 liter box, tuned to 50hz.

I have a few ides for a xo (my Achilles' heal). Getting some rice sound using xo that I've been using for another project, sounds good, not perfect, but need to break in speakers anyway.

I'm going to give Madisound a buzz, they have these drivers so they can provide a xo design, $30 I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
One more pic and thanks to the Moderator!

The "vents" are 1/2" MDF. I was in laa-land thinking to cut them all at once.

I made up a simple pattern and cut them one at a time (screw holes are not an issue so a little easier)

Pushing these boxes, gesh they have really big bold, box sound!!

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Back to the beginning - used a new xo for the Silver Flute project - used a muti part xo for the X25 tweeter (never sounded better) - and a filter supplied by Madisound for the woofer.

Which is same as xo design chart 1.8 coil - 7uf cap.

I did place an order for a full LEAP design.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Not going to give in without trying several xo's! My buddy can measure, but I get a headache if speakers don't sound right :coocoo:

Getting good amount of bass now, but have 5 of these (PIC Below) in different combinations, i.e. folded and single fold TTQWT (sub woofers) The single folds' are 9" wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
The xo work is going well, the compact speakers have some great bass (unexpected).
Question about the zoble, it is asking for Inductive Equivalent (Le) Henries :dontknow:

I toggled in a few numbers and get crazy cap sizes - Do I go back to spec sheet?

Le @ 1kHz 0.94 mH (cap 17,639 uf)

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
A lot of speaker for $30 woofer and $32 tweeter.

:unbelievable:

Could be :coocoo: but thinking the W design box attenuates standing waves, the box is a "black hole" - I.e. no echo.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
The xo work is going well, the compact speakers have some great bass (unexpected).
Question about the zoble, it is asking for Inductive Equivalent (Le) Henries :dontknow:

I toggled in a few numbers and get crazy cap sizes - Do I go back to spec sheet?

Le @ 1kHz 0.94 mH (cap 17,639 uf)
It's in the conversion factor. Henries vs milli-Henries
How does 11µF and 9 Ω sound.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Speaker-Zobel/

Zobel.jpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Thanks Rob - now that calculator seems to work and makes sense - got some crazy values with the other :wits-end:

I have something that seemes to work while waiting for parts: 3.3R and 12uf cap.

There's a sizzle sound in the very high end of the woofer, the 3.3/12uf cap zaps it out.

Whats a draw back of a zobel? (there's always a catch), I thought I started to hear that tin-can-sound with some of the other combinations.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Thanks Rob,

Buddy came over yesterday; quite versed in xo design/measuring. He helped with many of the elementary questions. :duh:

We found that both drivers have a slight breakup at xo point, the tweeter is out-of-phase to cancel that out (guessing, but seems to work).

So close but yet so far....:blink:

New xo by Madisound here in day or two

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Madisound sound moves fast! New xo's, in just a couple of days, and they included "cut sheet" with order; very professional!

This is working nice, but I guess it never ends, going to try two other types of woofer coils:

15 gauge steel lam
12 gauge air

Attachments

41 - 60 of 157 Posts