Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
They were sounding nice with the 16g series woofer coil, but needed a tad more bass - although would be fine for HT as is.

[if fact I think the smaller inductor would be better for HT so the low bass doesn't compete with a HT sub-woofer]

I really wanted to hear some bass extension without subwoofer; so shortened a few wires, used 14g feed wire and swapped the woofer coil to the 14g - amazing improvement!! The woofers have about 40 hours on them; I suspect they will loosen up over time and get even stronger.

btw...Kudos to Madisound they designed the xo, and sending parts in record time (e.g. 3 small orders in 1 week).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Some additional feedback (3 are finished)

* one pair in "stereo" room - crazy low bass, very nice definition with bass and guitar strings, vocals are natural and smooth. I did change the 1st series tweeter from 2.2ohm to 3.3ohm; the tweeter was a little hot on some songs. Also as mentioned swapped the series woofer coil to 14 gauge

* HT center channel- ordered just enough parts to complete the 3rd - shown left/down. Again, rich bass, set xo in processor to 40, which was too low, then moved to 80hz. :T

I like that the tweeter resistor can be switched for tweaking; this is not something that can be done in 5 minutes, need to sit and listen for a while, try many sources, songs movies, etc. (re-soldering is only 5 minutes).

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The bass on them is remarkable. I'm tempted to add a subwoofer, but fine without one.

(They are are stands and about 8" from wall)

btw, posting the MS crossover. As you can see, I thought the tweeter was was a bit hot, so jumped to slightly larger resistor.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/silver-flute-woofers-6-7/silver-flute-w17rc38-08-6-1/2-wool-cone/

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ring-radiator-tweeters/vifa-xt25tg30-04-1-ring-radiator-tweeter/

MS is out-of-stock on tweeters, PE still has them.

What are Portal Sentry Turrets? From a Syfy move?

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I guess they only have the stock pic - 3.3mh looks like 20' (3 meters) of wire I bet a 1.5mh is 2/3 of what is shown.

They were for high power application - so I didn't get them, but did spurge on 14gauge foil, which was $1 - $2 less.

Loving these little speakers; my speaker grue-guy said a lot of the manufactures are using this design of a isolated tweeters...great minds I guess :rofl:

Naaa...I saw a pic of a baffle cut like this long ago, things like this I can remember :nerd:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The blue ones were made 20+ years ago - ordered 1 factory coil to see what I could improve - which is obvious now (way to tall) Going to make new, thinner pexi spools and re-wind them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a tweeter with a resonant chamber and a port in the back. Tang Band 28-537SH doesn't have any suggestions for mounting either interior or exterior.
I'm going to try inside on front baffle first, then outside on a bracket.
I'm curious if the tweeters rear port would allow the woofer to over drive the tweeter cone.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I have a tweeter with a resonant chamber and a port in the back. Tang Band 28-537SH doesn't have any suggestions for mounting either interior or exterior.
I'm going to try inside on front baffle first, then outside on a bracket.
I'm curious if the tweeters rear port would allow the woofer to over drive the tweeter cone.
I would definitely consider it's own enclosure.
Have you done a search on the driver to see any recommendations?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
That looks like a nice tweeter:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-870 I have some old Morels with the same features. They are wonderful, except they just don't go up high enough (Morels).

I need to make some tweeter bullet shaped inclosures (I gave my tweeter brackets to a friend), I'll need to mount with a dowel or metal post.

Up to 8 boxes now, but only using two next to TV. The wife and I are :unbelievable: :unbelievable:

Great Bass :hsd: super highs and haven't missed a word in a movie yet. The lower register in voices is also simply amazing.

It doesn't all add up with the low cost drivers, but there is extra work with the cork and felt lining, 1"backs, triple layer sides and the flares are apparently all working in harmony .

[I'm getting faster at building them, prototyping is a lot of work, lot easier with a recipe]

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Been hanging on to a pair of 6.0mh coils, but sacrificed for this project. Which was good, made up two 1.5mh out of the larger 6.0mh coil; and only a 6' piece left over.

btw.....the meter was only $35, ~ that's the cost of one coil.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
This is the one people rave about.......

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=name&search_str=hds+tweeter

I think they double the price on the speakers that work better than the rest of the pack - I say FOUL BALL!! :hissyfit:
You make a valid "audio consumer" point.
Especially "Tweeters" how do we (the consumer) tell which one is the BEST? . . . . or better? With a woofer, us guys can tell. If a woofer can flap our pants legs, it's good. If a woofer can give us that "kick in the chest feeling" that's good. If a woofer can rattle my wife's fine china in the next room, that's good. If you can see the woofer cone gyrating in and out a full inch, that's good. If your neighbor calls the cops twice a week cause he can hear, feel, and have his wife's fine china rattled, that too would be a good woofer. But what about Tweeters??? Have you ever heard of a tweeter that could kick you in the chest?
OK, you say, test them by listening to them. OK, what do we listen for? You say, flat frequency response, little distortion, and non fatiguing. But, aren't those qualities best measured by machines ie: meters, scopes, and graphs? And if that's so, when we wanna go out and BUY a tweeter, what IS IT that's going to tell US how they sound and perform? Usually the tweeters are combined in a system with other drivers. They are combined with a minimum of one other driver, a woofer. You know, a woofer and a tweeter. That's the classical 2-way system. Even in a simple 2-way system, how do you separate the two drivers and their respective auditory performance from each other? Which is producing that ugly distortion, the woofer or the tweeter?
OK, so lets not judge a Tweeter in situ, what OTHER way does the consumer have to judge a tweeter? I know, listen to the tweeter without any other driver present and operating . . . . right? Have you ever listened to just a tweeter with nothing else running? They sound terrible! Add to that, that virtually ALL tweeters must have a cross-over circuit attached to protect it from low Hz material and to separate the high frequencies from the lows at some point in both drivers ability to reproduce sound within their respective (optimum) range with the least amount of distortion of all kinds.
So if we DIYers can't listen to a tweeter and know that, it's the best or, it's better than most, or it has been reported to be one of the best, and there's NO WAY we have the equipment to do any testing ourselves, what are we supposed to do?
I know what I've done. I bought the tweeters after having read the manufacturers claims, looked at the specification sheet/s, studied the frequency response graphs, and compared the distortion figures against other tweeters. Then I designed a 2-way or 3-way system using that particular tweeter, designed a x-over circuit, built a set of enclosures, and finally gave it a listen. Only THEN was I able to tell whether I had the right tweeter or just a high priced metal doughnut. Maybe just maybe the manufacturer had fudged the tweeters performance. Would they really DO something like that? NAAAAWWWWW! LOL
How do YOU guys do it?
In Odougbo's mind, he's thinking "this is the one people rave about". Who's raving? Is that a valid test procedure? Maybe it IS valid taking into account our alternatives. . :eek:lddude:

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
They are all valid points Phil.
Now cast your mind back before we had all this information available online...... It was a real minefield. :eek:lddude:
Thankfully we can now find reviews and opinions relatively easily to allow us to narrow down the choice of what may work in our design.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
Well yes and thanks to the forum and all the folks that pipe in with info and police outlandish claims!!

Too many choices.....which can be good and bad :sweat:

Can always "take a poll" on a speaker driver selection; three big companies that you can just call and ask a handful of concerns/questions; before you buy:

http://madisound.com/
http://www.parts-express.com/
http://meniscusaudio.com/

I've called them all, they all have been very helpful and full of great ideas :sn:

61 - 80 of 157 Posts