Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
I'm really liking the sound of 2 - 6.5s.

The SF are fine, have a nice powerful sound; these look like they may be a step up:

I rather buy two 6.5s at $52.50 than a $90, 7" any day (way more sound).

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1092

[SF are $29 each, a good deal for a cast frame woofer]

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Speaker Nirvana :T

The moral of the story here is : if you build a 2-way xo'ed over at 2K - 3K, best to use a tweeter with a chamber (shown - ScanSpeak D2606/9220).

These sound great now, full body sound and crazy low bass.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Ended up with five sets of MTM's.
I'm liking the lower left MTM's with SF's 8" 8ohm woofers best.
The woofer center to center is only 11" with the SB 29 tweeter.
Very natural sounding, nice bass and rolls off nicely, so can be used with or without sub(s).

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Finished? :innocent: Can't stop now.

Watched Oblivion with the big white speakers, pretty crazy; 2 of them sounds like a room full of speakers, including subs :hsd:

I'd like to try a mtmmm with the SF 6.5s.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Still making these 5 pairs now :gulp:

I'm liking the flares ones better - bass like a 1812 civil war cannon; although the top/bottom port(s) boxes are only 9.5" wide and have very similar characteristics.
Nice!

One question, if you don't mind...

Are the two woofers separated and have their own "space" or are they using the whole speaker volume?

I can see a brace in this picture, but I couldn't tell if the brace went all the way to seal the top woofer from the bottom one, or if the brace is opened to let air flow inside and out from the side/top-bottom bass vents.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
The picture looks like the two air spaces are divided...
I think that it is only a brace as it looks like it is at the same height as the tweeter (Which doesn't appear to have an enclosure)
So I guess they share the space.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think that it is only a brace as it looks like it is at the same height as the tweeter (Which doesn't appear to have an enclosure)
So I guess they share the space.
That's what I couldn't figure out from the 2 pics.

1st one looks more like a dividing panel, but in the 2nd pic, you see the tweeter at the spot of the panel/brace.

Just wondering if there was not more "tweaking" done that we don't see in any of the prior pictures... unless it is a building secret, of course!

141 - 157 of 157 Posts