Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my amplifier for my home theater...parting with my Crown Audio XLS Drivecore 1000 amps. I have 8 available, $250ea or make a reasonable offer. ($299 new)

These are in excellent condition, rack mounted and less than a year old.
350w/channel into 4ohms.

I've used them bridged for 7 channels and stereo to the 2 high channels.
http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls_drivecore.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you have any more details how they were hooked up? I know you said they were bridged, but in what config were they connected to which speakers? Sorry for the noob question.. trying to figure out the possibilities here

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
CS,
I run a 9.1 configuration so I have the standard 5.1 positions (left, right, center, surround left, surround right)
I then add 2 more (left rear and right rear) to get the 7.1 and
Added 2 more (left wide and right wide) which extend out the left and right sounds.

Each amp (for center, front left, front right, surround left, surround right, rear left, rear right) is bridged and powers those speakers individually so the amps left and right channels are bridged to produce one output. Full power of the amp to the speakers.

For the wides, one amp powers the left and right so it is used as a dual channel amp.
I did this because much less power is distributed to the wide speakers, they bridge the sound briefly from the front left/right to the left/right surrounds (typically) or for jumping sound from left front to left wide. Either way the sound is usually 'flashed' to the wides and at lower volumes than the left/right fronts to give that effect of the object fading out.
Hope that helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.